Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Headphones with good isolation and, what you play is what you hear. To much to ask of 100-150 dollar headphones? Ive narrowed it down to three possibles and would like to hear what your opinions on them. Sennheiser hd 280 pro, sony MDR7506 and shure 440. If I had more to spend maybe audio-technica ATH-M50. Do any stand out? Any possibly better options?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I like the MDR 7506. Their main problem is a 'true' midrange that some folks find annoying, and the fact that the ear cushions wear out way too fast, and need regular replacing.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
+1 on the 7506s. They are my daily use headphones for all of my live work. I have a pair of AKG 240Ss that I think sound better, but they don't isolate as well, and are a little wonky to wear. Plus I like the ability to flip a single earphone out on the 7506s for cuing purposes.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
The "isolation headphones" are for loud drummers. I would not get those because they would hurt after a while. I have a really good feeling about V-moda based on their earbuds I own. They also make headphones. You might want to check them out. I'm using some cheap $40 headphones for recording (forgot who makes them). They sound great to me and I'm not getting any leakage in my recordings.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Although not the best set of cans, the Sony 7506s are the industry standard for production. Mine have worked well for the past 14 years. I often toss them into a Rubbermaid tub with other gear, so they are durable, too.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Although not the best set of cans, the Sony 7506s are the industry standard for production. Mine have worked well for the past 14 years. I often toss them into a Rubbermaid tub with other gear, so they are durable, too.

Agreed. I much prefer Grados for listening--but their isolation is not so good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
The "isolation headphones" are for loud drummers. I would not get those because they would hurt after a while. ..... I'm using some cheap $40 headphones for recording (forgot who makes them). They sound great to me and I'm not getting any leakage in my recordings.
That is correct that they are made for drummers, but they are not uncomfortable. I use the ones on my soundstage quite a lot because they are always plugged in so they're convienient. I've never really noticed any real discomfort. They're not the best for reference work but I still think they provide the best isolation. They are also loud.

I have been using AKG K240's for reference work for at least 20 years I think. Just like the Vick Firth's on the soundstage - I use the AKG's for recording too if I'm in the control room because there's always a pair plugged in there. I highly reccomend them.

I've also got about 4 working sets of the AKG K77's left but I don't like them much at all. I started with 6 and two crapped out in just a couple of years. They have OK isolation, but still not one of my better purchases. Poorly built and only "OK" sound quality...

I don't find isolation that necessary unless you are recording something with a loud click-track. Backing tracks etc, just get masked but those damn clicks can be a beast on quiet passages....In other words, unless you are using a click - I wouldn't worry about isolation as much as sound quality and comfort.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,387 Posts
If you have to have closed, these are pretty darn good. Ultra comfortable. I do like the Sony V6 or 7506, and use them really often. They are super efficient too, so if you don't have the best headphone amp, they will still perform well.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT770pro

But,........ I've always found it easier to play in tune with open cans. I monitor waaaaay too loud and leakage has never been an issue. And to be honest, if it's section work, it's actually easier to hear the section with open headphones and play in tune.

http://www.akg.com/personal/K 601,pcp_id,165,pid,2,_psmand,1.html

All 3 of these headphones make the sax sound good. Not the case with all headphones. Sometimes the sax gets smoothed out too much and it's really hard to hear yourself play.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
This is a dated thread about headphones, so wondered what people like now- my cans are pretty worn out! Making that Christmas list...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi, you could take a look at the sony wh1000xm3. Reasonable quality and really good noise cancelation. For me this lead to better tone because I thought i didn't desturb the neighbours that much (but its much louder now😉). I use them without mic but with noise cancelation on. Should work over bluetooth when you connect it with your pc.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've been using a set of Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO cans for years. Great fidelity, great isolation, comfy, durable, easy to swap in replacement parts. Affordable, too. DT 770 PRO

I've also got the workhorse SONY MDR 7506. Good, cheap, durable, decent isolation. Get the Beyerdynamic, it's better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts