Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Last week I ordered on Amazon the Haynes Saxophone Manual, couple of days later it arrived home.
I must say it´s a really handy book, lots of tips & well explained. I can recommend it to everybody who wants to work a little bit on their sax or just know the "How, do´s & don´ts"
Just for the record i don´t work for Haynes, just wanted to share my opinion on the book.

Regards!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,810 Posts
well, Stephen Howard , who is a member her will be happy to hear that!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is he? That´s some coincidence, should of asked him for one, maybe I would of gotten a Saxontheweb member discount, hehe.

Leuk om te weten dat er meerdere Nederlanders zijn op het forum!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know Mr Howard himself is a member, in case I find myself with a disassambled sax and don´t know how to get it back in one piece, haha.

I must say Amazon had a very good deal on it, I payed 12 pounds for it, bought some more stuff and got free shipping to Spain.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
I think you'll be fine. I've had some wonderful emails from readers, some of whom have used the manual to do a strip-down service. This is very encouraging, especially as the emphasis in the book is on maintenance.
At the time I wrote the complete dismantling section I thought "No-one's ever gonna want to do this..."

Regards,

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have thought about getting this. If for nothing more than simple fixes that a non certified sax player, with no repair tech experience can do. I don't want things to go over my head. If anything, it would help me understand the saxophone and all it's parts, and how they work together.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I have thought about getting this. If for nothing more than simple fixes that a non certified sax player, with no repair tech experience can do. I don't want things to go over my head. If anything, it would help me understand the saxophone and all it's parts, and how they work together.
Follow through with that thought, this book is like a swab - no saxophonist should be without one.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I posted a thread on easiest fix when a felt comes off. If I had this, I could have looked up recommendations on the at least two minutes my friend who IS certified showed me. Sure, I'm not looking to do pad replacements and things, just minor maintenance issues that might come up. I would equate it to a bible for upkeep? I read more up on it. Stephen, sounds like you have a winner as testified by previous posters. I enjoy your site, might get this at some point.

...I was correct.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
I jsut got mine a week ago and have read through it. Very very useful book written at just the right level for me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I bought and enjoy the book also. Most (not all) of the stuff is over my head as far as me actually doing the maintenance, but it gives me great insight into how a sax works and most importantly to me, educates me as to what my techs should or should not be doing to my beloved saxes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,492 Posts
It's a fantastically well constructed book with well explained, detailed illustrated instructions. It's a great job.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have just ordered one from the original site (http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/). Now I am waiting for the European Delivery. I was afraid about amazon not selling the latest version (2nd version) of the book. Anyway the price difference is not that much.

Waiting impatiently to read this staff!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,810 Posts
Iam stuck with a first edition signed by the author.........:( ....... :bluewink:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I received my copy last week from Amazon and it was the December 2010 edition which I believe was the 2nd printing. I also had a concern that I would get the 1st printing but that wasn't the case. Great book BTW.

Diskman50

·
Registered
103 Posts
it is ok millandro. From what I read there are only some typo corrections and improvement in image quality in the 2nd edition....

That is why I didn't order from Amazon. Wanted to be sure that I get these corrections !

Take care and thanks for replying....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts