Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,329 Posts
Re: Haynes Sax Manual

Strange

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts

Pretty cool. I thought it was a joke at first, as I use the Haynes manuals for car repairs. Some things are good about them, some things aren't. Definitely better than Chiltons manuals. The Chevy service manual is much better, but it all depends on who writes the manual. For something mechanically simple like a saxophone, it should be very good. I'm going to take an educated guess and say that all that's in there are DIY repairs and adjustments requiring no special tools, or possibly repairs requiring specialized tools that are relatively inexpensive and/or easy to use fir the do-it yourselfer. Sounds like a good idea to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,175 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,119 Posts

I ordered mine in the U.S. from Amazon and after nearly 2 months Amazon is still having "trouble" getting the book in stock. :-(

I cancelled my order and made my purchase directly through bookdeposit and it should be arriving this week.

Same price as Amazon, it is in stock and free shipping from U.K.

B

·
831 Posts

I just ordered mine today from the Book Depository UK. I'll let you all know when it gets here. Price was 23 bucks US.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,119 Posts

Mine arrived from Book Depository in appx. 5 days after ordering it. I live in mid-USA, and BD is in England. The book is well thought out, and shows very nice photos of Bauhaus Walstein saxophones, and something called a Selmer MGVI?

B:cool:

·
13,175 Posts
I received mine in the mail yesterday from Amazon. I couldn't look through it until late last night, but it looks excellent -- all the things I've wanted to know how to do over the years. Time to put away the duct tape and order some things from MusicMedic so I can tweak my bari.

·
13,175 Posts

deleted double post

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
There were two threads discussing this topic. The other was merged into this one, as cross posting of topics is not permitted.

·
13,175 Posts
very good then. deleted and edited cross-posts.

·
831 Posts
Just got mine yesterday. Was actually surprised it is a hard cover book. Less than 2 weeks. Excellent.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi from Belgium....

The edition of the Haynes sax manual on depositorybook site is the second edition? ! Or still the first?!

Is it free shipping for belgium too?!

The book is well protected against any damage.during shipping? !

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
I'm very pleased to announce that Yamaha have bought the rights to publish the Haynes Saxophone Manual in Japan - so if there are any Japanese readers here, you'll be able to read the manual in your native language. I would imagine it will go on sale towards the end of the year.

Quite how they'll translate some of the rather more 'down-to-earth' phrases is anybody's guess...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought it not long after I started playing and have learned so much about the instrument and how it works from it. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very depressing to see this is now long out of print and Amazon sellers are asking silly prices. It's for all intents and purposes unobtainable. :(

·
Registered
385 Posts
Stephen Howard's a sensible fellow. If someone were to show him a clear path to self-publishing the thing I suspect he would do it. I have the impression he's not averse to the idea.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,942 Posts
Stephen Howard's a sensible fellow. If someone were to show him a clear path to self-publishing the thing I suspect he would do it. I have the impression he's not averse to the idea.
That's a nice idea, but Haynes probably owns the copyright or publishing rights. This sort of thing happens often: the publisher of a work (e.g., a music album, a book, etc.) stops publication of the work but holds onto the rights in case of the small chance that it again becomes profitable to publish.

That's part of the reason that we have so many "orphaned" works.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts