Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 108 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
I am waiting too.........:D cheers Steve!

I've just received a hardback autographed copy of the Steve's Haynes manual. The book is nothing short than splendid ! Written with the usual wit (I think Steve is one of the wittiest writers around and his literary talent is at least as big as his professional knowledge!) the book is clearly well photographed too. if there are any prizes for clarity and efficacy this book deserves them and I would be more than pleased to endorse it whenever and wherever possible. Thank You Steve! :)

Registered
At least you guys across the pond will be able to have your on Christmas. The book sellers in the states say they won't have any until around February.

Distinguished SOTW Technician
I've just received a hardback autographed copy of the Steve's Haynes manual. The book is nothing short than splendid ! Written with the usual wit (I think Steve is one of the wittiest writers around and his literary talent is at least as big as his professional knowledge!) the book is clearly well photographed too. if there are any prizes for clarity and efficacy this book deserves them and I would be more than pleased to endorse it whenever and wherever possible. Thank You Steve! :)
And thank you too for your extremely kind compliments, it really is very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Steve

At least you guys across the pond will be able to have your on Christmas. The book sellers in the states say they won't have any until around February.
I think some sites still have February up as the publication date - but I'll check with my editor on Monday to see what the position is on delivery to US stockists.

I've sent a few copies out to the states already ( via my website ) - but if you're looking for a bargain I found this:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/boo...se&utm_source=UK&utm_content=Saxophone-Manual

They're selling it at 拢12.99 with free worldwide delivery.
I have no idea how that works - it's 拢11 to send the book airmail to the states...and not much less by sea.
I suspect that page might get pulled rather quickly if any USA orders come in!

Regards,

Distinguished SOTW Technician.
I've sent a few copies out to the states already ( via my website ) - but if you're looking for a bargain I found this:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/boo...se&utm_source=UK&utm_content=Saxophone-Manual

I have no idea how that works - it's 拢11 to send the book airmail to the states...and not much less by sea.
They sell stuff via Amazon. I've had quite a few things from them. they've always been great. I'm not sure how they get the prices down. Maybe they know exactly how many to order to get the right discounts.
拢11 sound a lot. There should be a cheaper option.

Distinguished SOTW Member
I suspect that page might get pulled rather quickly if any USA orders come in!
Maybe they ship them by the pallet to the U.S. and let someone else (like Amazon or Barnes & Noble) actually ship them out. It looks like they're doing traditional print runs, not print-on-demand, so they probably are not just printing them in the country where they are ordered.

Or, it may be as you suspect -- they screwed up.

I had a closer look at their FAQs and they say they send international book orders out by Royal Mail priority airmail - which is the service I use. Even if they got some kind of discount on the postage it still has to be about ten quid to send the manual by air.
That leaves them with less than three quid profit - out of which they have to budget for packaging and handling....and the cost of the book.

Currently the book is only being printed in the UK.

I can't see how they can do it ( 'cos I know what the book costs trade! ), so it has to be a mistake. If, as Oric Muso says, they're a reputable company, then I'd be inclined to jump on the deal if you're in the states!
I wonder how many orders they'll take before they pull the page...

Regards,

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
If, as Oric Muso says, they're a reputable company, then I'd be inclined to jump on the deal if you're in the states!
I wonder how many orders they'll take before they pull the page...
They're reputable and sizeable company. I've bought many books from them over several years. They generally undercut Amazon a little. Amazon are offering free UK delivery on all orders; Book Depository make it quite clear on their front page that they will do free delivery worldwide. It's straightforward competition. I suppose we must assume that companies this size get radically better terms from Royal Mail.

I had an email from my editor this morning - they will be shipping copies to their US distributor but it will take a while for the books to get there ( probably by sea ). They then have to be distrubuted to the retailers, so February isn't far wrong.

I'd go for the book depository deal - I'd be surprised if you'd get such a decent price even from a local source when it finally arrives in the states.

Regards,

Registered
Just received my copy. Can't wait to get to read it, tonight I'll be busy, but tomorrow I think I'll stay home and read the book in good time. If it's anywhere as good as the website I think I'll enjoy it very much.

It's -20 degrees Celsius outside, so I'll rather not go out anyway. :D

Registered
I had an email from my editor this morning - they will be shipping copies to their US distributor but it will take a while for the books to get there ( probably by sea ). They then have to be distrubuted to the retailers, so February isn't far wrong.

I'd go for the book depository deal - I'd be surprised if you'd get such a decent price even from a local source when it finally arrives in the states.

Regards,
Bummer. I ordered mine a week ago and was hoping to have it by Christmas! Ah well, can't wait until I do get it. Thanks for writing it Stephen!

Scargo

Registered
Just got through it. A really great book, lots of useful hands-on information and great pictures. Especially the chapter on regulation should be very useful in diagnosing problems.

I would highly recommend this book for anyone ever thinking of working on their own horns, it would probably be the single best investment to get started. Even though much of the information could possibly be obtained by patiently searching the net and reading old SOTW threads (as I did when I started fixing my horns little over a year ago), it's much easier to use in a logically arranged book form with clear, high-quality pictures. Also reading the book helps a lot in understanding how a saxophone works mechanically.

Thanks Mr. Howard , nice work! :)

Registered
Any chance I could get one before Xmas???? I'll pay by whatever you need???

Mike

41 - 60 of 108 Posts