Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
That flute is way over priced.
There are so many nice "commercial" close hole Haynes' out there, for under $2K, they're usually going for $1200-1500 on eBay these days. Do some research.

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
984 Posts
based on first hand experience i would advise you to avoid buying anything from that seller.

i got a "set up" and playing flute form them a year ago and it showed up in terrible condition, the head cork actually fell out when i took the head out of the case and the pads were covered in dust from red rouge from some idiot buffing the flute with the keys still on it. as for the actual adjustment work it was the worst i have ever seen and was not at all playable or as described as sold. when i tried to address these concerns with the seller she was unapologetic.

haynes commercial flutes are great, but for what she is asking you could buy a similar flute from the flute center of ny or any number of serious flute dealers, save yourself the headache and do not deal with liz at winds 101... as a professional wood wind tech, and having bought and sold a great many instruments, she was hands down the worst seller i have ever dealt with. Not only was listing extremely inaccurate as to the condition of the instrument, but she was rude and obnoxious to boot.

i have a friend who might be selling a similar haynes that is set up and ready to go. PM me if you would like his info.

·
984 Posts
also i would be careful buying a haynes on ebay, you may get one for 1200 to 1500 but be sure to factor and overhaul into the price.

·
984 Posts
glad to help....

they are great flutes, also you might look for and old sterling selmer from the 20's to 30's, very similar to the haynes, and some like them better.

also the haynes commericals changed a bit through the run, the 50's ones are heavier and a bit darker sounding than the later ones, i had one in the 23,xxx run that was fantastic.

also for that price range, if you look hard you might find a handmade closed hole which is a whole different thing...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,289 Posts
I too like the Selmers. I have a customer with one coming in an hour and I will see if she wants to sell. I think I sold one to Mike_S a while back.

·
984 Posts
that you did bruce, the .0225 wall one... i still have it, though it has had some improvements done...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,125 Posts
I've had two commercial Haynes flutes- a '42 and a '63. Both had good qualities, but the '62 was definately a more responsive flute.
Neither were expensive. I bought the 1942 for $1100 on ebay and the 1963 from a retired session musician who'd had it since new for $1700 (AUD).
The best Haynes I've ever played was an earlier one from the 1920's when Verne Powell worked there. These are often very underrated compared to the so-called 'Golden Age' Haynes associated with the period of Rampal playing one.
Have you tried a handmade model Mike (Ward) ? I much prefer the thin walled flutes over the heavy walled.

I would also mike's concerns about that seller.....long story but not a nice one.

Were the sterling Selmer's made by George Haynes?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts