Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am just coming back from the ishimori store in Tokyo where I could play test a Mark V (222k), a Reference 54 and a Woodstone New Vintage. The latter is designed by Ishimori and assembled in Taiwan. The shop employee told me they started to manufacture those last year. I tested them with a Ted Klum Focustone Acoustimer and plasticover 3. I really liked the sound of those 3 horns: very deep low register, easyblowing and powerful if needed. In term of sound my favorite was the mark VI. However I would have put the Woodstone in second place, before the Ref 54. I must precise I like the vintage sound from the 50s and I thought the Woodtsone was really comfortable to play: more than the mark VI actually and same as the Ref 54. Has anyone else tried those Woodstone tenors? Thank you in advance

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most of the Japanese manufacturers design their products in Japan and have them produced outside Japan for obvious cost reducing purposes: Nissan, Toyota, Nec, Fujitsu, Honda to name a few. Does it make their products less attractive? At least if makes them more competitive. Regarding Ishimori I would recommend a play test before disregarding them.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HI Liam84, the translation somewhat defers from the japanese version I see on their website but it is not too far. I agree with you JayePDX, it is indeed not very enticing, to say the least. There are actually 2 different versions of this new vintage: a "vintage lacquer" one and an "antique finish" one (unlacquered). Both comes with or without the high F# and they sell for the same (high) price. Whether high is synonym of outrageous in that case is left to your own judgment.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And then again the Mauriat 66R looks like a clone too... or am I hallucinating?

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well the yen is super high vs most of the currencies right now so from abroad everything looks (even more) expensive for sure... Then european saxes should become cheaper in Japan too... in theory at least...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.