Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,663 Posts
Adversity breeds creativity!! Just did this great gig last night - people from all around the world watched live! (It's interesting to think that the number of people that watched it live is more than TWENTY TIMES the number of people that could fit into the club in person on a "normal" night)

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,033 Posts
I've been pretty blessed this last year and a half. My wife and I were visiting Grand Cayman when the virus hit in March 2020 and they closed the borders and went into total lockdown (reinforced by criminal prosecution for violating the restrictions). We decided to stay, and after three months we had no virus and no restrictions since then (a lesson for the rest of the world). I hooked up with a jazz group I've sat in with before, and we have been gigging regularly for the past 10 months. I'm heading back to the US in a couple of weeks. A jam band I play with has just started rehearsing and booking outdoor gigs. A couple of jazz groups I play with are still trying to figure out if/when we can start to rehearse and gig again. Not a lot of opportunities for live indoor music in the Boston area from what I'm hearing. Now I just have to remember how to wear a mask.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I've been pretty blessed this last year and a half. My wife and I were visiting Grand Cayman when the virus hit in March 2020 and they closed the borders and went into total lockdown (reinforced by criminal prosecution for violating the restrictions). We decided to stay, and after three months we had no virus and no restrictions since then (a lesson for the rest of the world). I hooked up with a jazz group I've sat in with before, and we have been gigging regularly for the past 10 months. I'm heading back to the US in a couple of weeks. A jam band I play with has just started rehearsing and booking outdoor gigs. A couple of jazz groups I play with are still trying to figure out if/when we can start to rehearse and gig again. Not a lot of opportunities for live indoor music in the Boston area from what I'm hearing. Now I just have to remember how to wear a mask.
Are you doing all that gigging on Cayman? I spent many winters there from late 60's through most of the 70's. My dad built a place in Boddentown. I can't imagine that there are enough venues to have regular gigs, let alone jazz gigs. :)

·
3,663 Posts
Always a pleasure to work with a piano player that can really comp behind you, and then go off too. Most magically. Great band Dave!
Thanks so much! This was actually the first time any of the rhythm section has played in my quartet. I think it's important to make it sound like we've been all playing together and playing this music for awhile!

·
3,663 Posts
Well... don't run these guys off then. 🤣
Hahah I won't! I've played with them a whole lot, just never in my band. I love playing with them! Great ears, can play any style, always learn all the charts and if they don't get the charts ahead of time they can all sight-read like crazy...a great bunch of musicians!

·
1,033 Posts
Are you doing all that gigging on Cayman? I spent many winters there from late 60's through most of the 70's. My dad built a place in Boddentown. I can't imagine that there are enough venues to have regular gigs, let alone jazz gigs. :)
If you haven't been back since the '70s you would not recognize the place. Lots of hotels, restaurants and bars and more (too many) under construction. And when the island is open to normal tourism, they are all looking for live music. Not much interest in jazz though. I was gigging with the only jazz group on the island, at a downtown restaurant/bar one night per week, plus a gig about once a month at the Ritz hotel bar.

There are more venues than bands. A lot of musicians I know here get more than one gig per day in normal times in high season, and they make a good living. The way I met the sax player who runs the one jazz group here was that he kept double booking gigs and needed a sub, and a mutual friend connected us. And being that we're about the only two gigging sax players in the country, it's a pretty good opportunity to play. There is also a "jam night" at some bar just about every night and anyone can sit in with the house band - mostly covering pop tunes. I'll do that when not gigging.

The jam band and other jazz groups are back in the US. Going to have to figure out how to play through a mask when I go back.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,938 Posts
We're still rehearsing in our house, serenading the squirrels and the neighbors.

Summers are always dead, even without COVID, but we're booking for next season already.

·
1,033 Posts
Playing my last jazz gig tonight at the Sandbar Grill in Georgetown before heading back to the US next week. The good news is that the jam band I play in back home has just started booking a bunch of gigs again (all outdoors), starting the week after I get back, after more than a year of no work. I will miss covid-free Cayman.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Had a 3 hour rehearsal today for our first gig back which is a concert series hit at a town park in about 3 weeks. Everyone was stoked and looking forward to playing out again.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
As of an hour ago, I'm now fully vaccinated and looking forward to gigging again, as soon as they open up live venues. My pianist did a drive-in gig on Canada Day, so is already warmed up and raring to go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,938 Posts
We're booking gigs for next winter's tourist and winter resident season!!!!!!!!!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts