Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
We have 6 gigs booked for the summer beginning in May - 3 outdoor bar, 1 summer concert series event, and 2 weddings. The bigger issue right now is figuring out rehearsal times & spaces. You guys who are long-time / full-time pros playing with other pros and stable groups can probably pull it together and go back to gigging with a minimum amount of rehearsal time but our 11 piece funk group made up largely of weekend-warrior types and a rotating cast of players is going to need sometime to re-converge into a band before walking into these 3-4 hour gigs. Not only are most of the rehearsal spaces too small for any sort of distancing but lots of people's schedules have changed as well making finding common times equally challenging.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,850 Posts
No rehearsals and not gigs here in NL, still in heavy lockdown. We have an online meeting with the Big Band coming tuesday, but I don't expect we can start rehearsing in the coming months (vaccination is still a bit behind here).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did a livestream for Mardi Gras on Friday (we got snowed out on Tuesday in Chicago), but that's it. The venue has been doing livestreams throughout the pandemic, serious about COVID protocols, and I was comfortable with the guys in the band/trusted that they were being as cautious as I am. We did not rehearse, but we've all played together in various bands over the years.

I had the time of my life, but I won't play any gigs with an audience until the vaccine is widely distributed. To perform in public is to condone gathering, which isn't the right message or action if we want to get back to "normal".

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Cannonball 5JHR
191 Posts
I have been playing on two different worship teams at two different churches. We never stopped playing.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It's been pretty slow here in WI lately. Had a new years day gig and then nothing for over a month. January is always pretty dead, but not this dead. February is usually fairly busy for me...14 last year...this year only 2. Ironically, my gig next week is on bass sax, filling in for the tuba player (who was double booked) in a dixieland band.

·
Registered
Holton 241 Tenor; Buescher Art Deco Aristocrat Alto
22 Posts
Absolutely nothing. Feel terrible for the kids at my school in the orchestra and big bands. They haven't played ensemble music since last March.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,908 Posts
My street band/brass band has been able to play outdoors without amplification etc outdoors and with good social distancing. Instead of inviting everyone to gigs we play to the crowd who is there organically and live stream on Facebook for everyone else.

As long as the weather is nice we can continue to play, we did over 50 gigs last year.

·
Registered
211 Posts
No gigs or rehearsal so far this year...and I don't see any coming back for a while yet.

I just looked and I did 12 in 2020 (but 7 of those were before March lockdown hit!). I did 4 outside over the summer and one livestream thing. Just trying to use all this extra time to practice and make the most of it but it's not easy! I do feel very fortunate to have some teaching, a roof over my head and my loved ones healthy at the moment. Hope the same if true for all of you

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,120 Posts
I'm really sorry to read this thread and see how bad it is elsewhere.
I have a full book. We were only down for a couple of months last year and resumed limited gigging last April.
I rehearsed Wednesday and played Friday and Saturday night. Three of the players in my 8pc have had at least one vaccination...
The rooms in the ATL suburbs are mostly at full capacity.
My band has had two members with Covid, (They both recovered with no real lasting effects). We've also been subbing the keyboard player since the pandemic started because he has been uncomfortable playing out, but he too is now vaccinated and will be on the next gig...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,586 Posts
I have been playing on two different worship teams at two different churches. We never stopped playing.
Are the congregations masking and distancing? How are they making that work? In my area, there are a lot of open air services.

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Cannonball 5JHR
191 Posts
Are the congregations masking and distancing? How are they making that work? In my area, there are a lot of open air services.
Both congregations have optional masks. People distance if the wish, or not. They also shake hands or bump elbows, whichever they wish. When I say hello, I take their lead. For myself, I have not done any masking in church. I play sax. What would be the point? One of the churches is small (25 or fewer), and the other is larger (200).

21 - 33 of 33 Posts