Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you compare the sound of these two brands? preferably tenor to tenor or likewise. I'm thinking of The Jubilee and please write the production year of the Conn

But also what would a tech say about the technical-mechanical qualities of them in comparison.

I could ask the same question in The Conn Forum ;) wonder if it would make a difference?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
I played both a 19,xxxJ Jubilee and a 1929 Conn. I perceived the Borgani to be a bit bigger, a tiny bit louder and more nasal sounding and the Conn more flexible, smoother and more colorful. One can feel the lineage though. Both having a spread and medium-dark voice with big lows. The keywork of the Jubilee is easier to get around which might be a plus for some.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I own a Borgani Jubilee tenor and a Conn Transitional. I've also tried a variety of vintage Conns. To me there is very little comparison. The Borgani is a modern horn, and does not sound like a vintage Conn. The sole similarity is that they are big wide sounding horns, as opposed to more focused Selmers and Yamahas. The intonation tendencies on the Borgani are far superior to the Conn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Chalk and cheese-cheese and chalk, both have their place. Perhaps a better comparison would be Borgani v 10M the latter having a 'bit of everything'

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,981 Posts
Yes I agree. Comparing a 2019 horn to a splitbell 1925 one ? OK, yes you can and indeed the observations are completely valid.

But is that really what the OP wanted to know ? (I dunno, maybe it is).

Because if you compare a Chu to a 10M...there are several very significant differences between THOSE two models.

So....what can one say ?

I have serviced and sold tons of Conns, I have serviced a couple of Borgani Jubilees. I love Conns. I was VERY impressed by the Jubilees.

Conns have traditional keywork, regardless of the model (except for the 5m/9M/18-25M/34Ms all of which were short lived UMI models and not the usual 'original' Elkhart models people usually are referring to when the say "Conn"). Borgs have contemporary keywork...very slick, very nice.

So, yes, the Borgs are slicker and more responsive under the fingers. As you would expect.

Precision-wise the Borgs are very nice, generally more precise in fabrication than asian-made horns. However, I have also had to swedge the Borgs I had in here....and neither was very old at all (less than 8 years old the older of the two). I have also had to swedge similarly aged Yamas and Yanis. So perhaps that is just 'what you get' when you buy a newer horn these days, regardless of where it was made (?)

The Borgs had a bit more blowing resistance than a classic Conn, which I deem to be more free-blowing. But not too much resistance, just a bit more.

Blowing response on both is excellent.

The Conns, of course, SOUND like Conns - which has been and ALWAYS will be their TOP selling point. Nothing sounds like one - and many folks are quite happy making the valid decision to say "I can acclimate to the keywork/feel because I want that TONE"

Borgs are more focused, a bit edgier, a bit brighter. But the wonderful thing is, they still retain width and warmth and darkness...thus IMHO sonically they are more complex than, say, a Yama 82. I would call a modern Borgani the most sonically rich and refined production horn that is made today. More so than an R&C. More so than an SA. (I have never held a Selmer Reference in my hands, admittedly)

Hope this helps.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
I haven’t played a Conn in over 10 years, so I won’t comment about my experiences. Contact Matt Stohrer for his opinions regarding the sound comparo. He has worked on both my Borgani Jubilee tenors (small bore OBT, and larger bore “J”), and is well known for restoring vintage horns. He told me, after working on my “J”, that it reminded him of a Conn New Wonder II. The OBT is more focused and quicker responding.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for replies!!

My reasons for asking for this comparison are a little bit of this and that, I've got a Jubilee tenor pearl-silver 184xx That I have considered to be the best saxophone in the world since I bought it. A couple of years I've been playing my alto mainly, because that's was the place available in the big band in this arier I've moved too. It's a conn lady face 1941, the great focused sound just talked to me, someone in this forum said once Gary I think, that conn M6 is the obvious choice of alto for a tenor player, even though i didn't like the ergos that much. I have had made some alterations to fit my playing style. And after starting playing big band on it, I've fought hard to find a sound I liked and which worked with the BB. I was thinking as a tenor player a choose a sound that was to dark - lately I've found a mouthpiece a sound that i really like, and which is working with the BB.

That changed something, because I got this idea that I would like my tenor sound to be rich and bold like a Conn, and that makes me worried, because the last time I had such a feeling I bought The Borgani. I would like to think that I got the best tenor in the world. So maybe I would like a tenor sound not quit as spread, not quit as slow as my jubilee, faster reacting like Dr G mention about the OBT.

I'm also thinking about stories about Borgani player complaining about the quality of the mechanics of the early Jubilee Borgani. As I wrote earlier I'm not a big fan of the Conn ergos, fx the left hand pinky keys. A little bit of this and that - if I had the money I would just go out go for another tenor, and keep The Jubilee to see if it was the right thing to do.

it would be nice to listen to side by comparison of Borgani Jubilee and OBT + Conn particular Lady face

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Steen, I don’t recall your experience with vintage American horns, but I compare favorably the Borgani J/OBT to Buescher TH&C/Big B. I had all four horns at the same time.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steen, I don’t recall your experience with vintage American horns, but I compare favorably the Borgani J/OBT to Buescher TH&C/Big B. I had all four horns at the same time.
Not much I have played a Buescher Aristocrat alto one night once - I was impressed by the immediate response and how easy it was to project, but not an easy horn to tame, other than that I Haven't got any real playing experience with vintage American horns, besides The Conn L F. I've been listening quite a lot to Dave O'higgins and lately Emanuele Cisi, which are Conn 10M players.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lately I have I've been playing my Borgani with a Pomarico ebony 7 lots of of resistance in this piece! I play it with a 2 1/2 L Rigotti Jazz and a Woodstone metal ligature. It's gives that great blend of pounce and texture, that is associated with wood. So I'm back in the wood again on the track to Macerata -

1 - 11 of 11 Posts