1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
36 Posts
He is one of my favorites. Duo Exchange and Don't Punk Out are both amazing records.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
He plays fantastic on a Saxemble CD I own!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
Frank Lowe was the shiznik alright like a back porch country preacher leading the choir and congregation speaking in tongues!! whoop whoop!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frank Lowe was the shiznik alright like a back porch country preacher leading the choir and congregation speaking in tongues!! whoop whoop!!
I MISS FRANK...Time for a LOWE-O-THON :)

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
I've got a beautiful duo record of Frank with drummer Philip Wilson ( Paul Butterfield Blues Band, ao ): OUT OF NOWHERE, a one-sided pressing.
They are both missed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
I would love to hear that - I was a great fan of Philip Wilson and saw him whenever he played the BIM-huis over here. I loved the way he didn't play half of the notes - just suggesting them. So he had this great driving feel and enormous freedom at the same time.
Thanks for posting that, Tim.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hey there Tim. I remember him playing with Alice Coltrane. And speaking of Frank Lowe.

I was thinking if the Coltrane were still here that's where he would be taking the music.

Tremendous sound taking the saxophone sound to it's next point in evolution from Coltrane and Pharaoh in some aspects.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
I played a gig at a place called The Shuttle, in the Alphabet City section of NYC, back around 1980-82 or so. I was working with a poet and when we arrived, it turned out there was another group that was to perform.

That group turned out to be: Don Cherry, Frank Lowe, Ed Blackwell and a few others I can't recall.

Three things were memorable about that night: the music, standing in an alley afterwards with everybody getting $20 for the gig (rats as big as Cadillacs running over our feet), and running into trumpeter Earl Cross after 5 or 6 years.

"Hey Earl, I heard you were dead, man".

To which he replied: "I was."

No, there was another thing: Frank's tenor looked as though it had the finish sandblasted off the horn. Probably the lacquer just fled from the sonic assault!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts