Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many years back, it seemed we had more get togethers and local functions, as well as going to other members' gigs in their area. The Symposium sort of replaced our Maryland get togethers, but still... I'd like to see others plug their gigs here more often. I used to see other players from SOTW, and they'd see me play as well. Seems a lot of those guys aren't active here anymore, which is a shame.

So how about it? Have you been to someone's gig lately? If not, why? And yeah... I know. I plug a lot of gigs here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Well - I've plugged a few shows, and even offered up easy (and decent paying) gigs since I've been a member here. I've also posted gigs and suggested others come and sit in.

No one's come out. No one bit on the gig offers.

After a half dozen attempts or so, I just quit posting them.

I have an off Saturday this week and am going to see a friend play. I'm sure I'll be asked to sit in, but I'm not sure if I'll bring an instrument or not. Sometimes it's just fun to listen. I don't do it often enough though - probably because a weekend night off is a rare treat.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
I don't know if there are many active members in my area (Tampa Bay) but I'd love to check anyone out if they do gig here. Just don't think there are many here (?)

·
Registered
716 Posts
I guess it could get rather overwhelming if everyone starts plugging their gigs, as the SOTW community is spread across the globe.

·
Registered
525 Posts
When I was in my 20's and 30's I'd go out to other people's gigs all the time. 30-40 years later, I've become a homebody, and tend to not go out unless I have to. I think the last time I went out to another's gig was to record it for him on my digital minicorder, that's probably 6-8 years ago.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
When I was in my 20's and 30's I'd go out to other people's gigs all the time. 30-40 years later, I've become a homebody, and tend to not go out unless I have to. I think the last time I went out to another's gig was to record it for him on my digital minicorder, that's probably 6-8 years ago.
Thanks for your support.
I go to other people’s gigs. More so if I’m done earlier and and I can run by somebody else’s gig.
Where I live it’s easy to get around so it’s not a major hassle to go somewhere else.
You’d be surprised how many other gigs you can get by getting out. They call it “networking” now if you’ve never grasped the concept.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thanks for your support.
I go to other people’s gigs. More so if I’m done earlier and and I can run by somebody else’s gig.
Where I live it’s easy to get around so it’s not a major hassle to go somewhere else.
You’d be surprised how many other gigs you can get by getting out. They call it “networking” now if you’ve never grasped the concept.
I'm already playing in 6 different bands, and sub in several more. Nice snark though. I suppose if I didn't have any I'd be more willing to "network" -- kind of dislike that term, I have to go to lots of technology conventions, symposiums, user groups, etc. under that label, it gets pretty yada yada yada to me. Plus at my age when this job is over, I'm retired.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
Rather than simply having an announcements thread, it would be very nice if there was some sort of calendar where we could post gigs. This could be a sort of sticky that wouldn’t get shuttled around on the board. I often have a steady gig that repeats every week. If that was posted on the calendar I wouldn’t have to keep writing the announcement.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
When I was in Indy during the late '60s, sitting-in was very popular. Historically it has been the musician's way of extending his contacts and keeping himself employed. When I came back to VA in '71 I found that things had gotten very 'cliquey' in my absence and bands just did not want anyone on stage who was not familiar with their 'schtick'. Now, its much worse than it was then, plus there are very few sax players working.
My main group at this time has adopted the policy of finding sit-ins for everybody so they don't have to cancel gigs when a guy can't make it. This has been working very well and earlier this year we played several gigs with stand-ins, one with three at once. These are all guys who are in other working groups and it really works out great.
I know that isn't the topic but mentioned it because in all my years no band before ever had such a common-sense practice, which is good for everybody - the sit-ins get more work and the host group doesn't have to cancel.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,263 Posts
I went to a SoTW poster's gig just last week in Greenpoint Brooklyn - at a great venue, Troost, they have Manhattans on tap! It was Coltraney - freak out jazz - but so well done...it was completely mesmerizing and the bar was full (on a Monday night.) Gospel of Mars is the group. Staying at home in NYC is just about the lamest thing - so much great stuff is happening all the time.

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts
Our UK member LiAm84 had some gigs in NL last month and I did go to his gig in Leiden. I've met him severall times before here in NL.

Haven't seen much other members and also don't announce my own stuff here (just had an open air gig Dec 10 in Delft and theater gig this evening Dec 12 in Vlaardingen).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,023 Posts
I sat in for a set and a half with friends' trio last Friday night. They have a regular Friday night gig at a venue near me. The drummer and guitar are always there and there's either a bass player or keys player making up the 3rd member. I'm friends with the drummer and the bass player and the main keys player, whichever one is playing the gig. This is at a venue where I play in the house band for the Sunday night jam. I also go see friends' shows at local venues, when I can. There are some groups in which I know a few of the members, have played with them in previous bands or at jams or in one of the bands I'm in. I'm in 4 bands besides the jam band (or is it 5? - I've lost track) so I'm fairly active. None of the bands I'm in gig very often so it works out. I'm always grateful that at my advanced age (74) I get to play a lot of music. So yeah, I've been to someone else's gig lately, as well as some of my own.

·
26,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No one bit on the gig offers.
I recall once you needed a fill-in for a gig in Atlanta. You don't know how close I was to taking a bite. At the time I had a friend in Atlanta with a place to stay, but he wasn't there that week. That was really cool of you though, and it's a shame no one took you up on it.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,793 Posts
Drop on by if you are in the area. Good old and new party music. Open to the public;

6/27/20 - Plains, Trains, and Fireworks, Plains, Ga 8-11PM
9/19/20 - The "Georgia Classic Cruisers" in downtown Greensboro, Ga 4-8PM
9/26/20 - Plains Peanut Festival, Plains, Ga 8-11PM

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
I recall once you needed a fill-in for a gig in Atlanta. You don't know how close I was to taking a bite. At the time I had a friend in Atlanta with a place to stay, but he wasn't there that week. That was really cool of you though, and it's a shame no one took you up on it.
You weren't the only one. Ended up getting something local, ironically from a singer who lives in Atlanta.

I keep an eye out for local gigs featuring SOTW members. There don't seem to be many in Pittsburgh though. I still go see a ton of local saxophonists, but they don't seem to be members. Danny Marcovich Slor is the only member I regularly see whenever Marbin comes to town, and I met him through a post here. By in large, the lack of SOTW get togethers may be a sign that we're all busy gigging ourselves.

·
26,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Generally my combo gigs are for private functions. But lately I've been crazy busy with a local brass band in town. I kinda joined them on a whim about two years ago, not expecting much. Things changed. There are a lot of members, and it can be an amateur rabble for certain jobs like parades and community events. For more structured gigs like wedding processionals and stage shows we pare the band down a bit. And we get booked. A lot. We've got five gigs just within this week, and often have double bookings on weekends. People just love this stuff. And that's another reason why I plug these gigs. Saxophone is an integral part of brass band music, and it is party music. It always seems options for playing get slimmer and slimmer these days with DJ's, electronic music, sampled cuts, poor gig pay, etc. But you guys find yourself a brass band. And you'll gig. Trust me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Generally my combo gigs are for private functions. But lately I've been crazy busy with a local brass band in town. I kinda joined them on a whim about two years ago, not expecting much. Things changed. There are a lot of members, and it can be an amateur rabble for certain jobs like parades and community events. For more structured gigs like wedding processionals and stage shows we pare the band down a bit. And we get booked. A lot. We've got five gigs just within this week, and often have double bookings on weekends. People just love this stuff. And that's another reason why I plug these gigs. Saxophone is an integral part of brass band music, and it is party music. It always seems options for playing get slimmer and slimmer these days with DJ's, electronic music, sampled cuts, poor gig pay, etc. But you guys find yourself a brass band. And you'll gig. Trust me.
I did catch your gig post. Congrats on getting that opening spot. I've been toying around with the idea of throwing an NO styled brass combo myself as I loved the style growing up. Trombone Shorty has also proved that there's still a healthy market for the style, and that the style still has room to grow. Gotta get my clarinet chops back up to snuff first. 🤣

·
26,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gotta get my clarinet chops back up to snuff first.
I play mostly soprano with my brass band. It cuts through the brass and is somewhat unique to the genre. But if you want to get a brass band going, start with a decent tuba player and a trombonist with the chops to lead. Add a trumpet and build from there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts