Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing tenor, alto, sop and baritone plus some duals (tenor/alto) and my neck has said That's IT! So I have to start using a harness. Anybody using a Neotech Super? Mainly it is for baritone/tenor and the strap length for both of those is so close I can put down the tenor, hook up the bari and play it without adjustment. I had a rig many years ago that I designed and had a shoe maker put together for me. I didn't have a bari then and it was just for the duals, which I was playing a lot in those days. But, it worked, and 40 years later and adding the bari, my neck is killing me with the strap.
I'll still use a strap for the alto which is what I did before and that method works great. I have resisted going this route for a long time but I think I'm going to have some real problems if I don't change how I support the horns. I guess anybody with any sense would just quit at the age of 74 but I am simply not there yet. I have about 25 gigs this year with three groups so evidently nobody cares about my age as long as I can cut the mustard. These are not casual gigs - they are three or four-hour shows with two or three sets, high-energy, frequently outside. I just don't want to give this up and I'm loving the baritone now that I have settled on a mouthpiece/reed. I think a good harness can make all the difference in the world - when you're in pain, its hard to remember your parts and crank out good rides.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I don't play bari, but have a good friend who plays it in an r&b band and he recently got the Vandoren harness. It looks like a freakin' straight jacket from behind (I believe it's a metal brace), but he absolutely loves it and says it's the best one he's ever used. Again, this isn't personal experience, but he swears by it so for whatever that's worth! ;-)

Pretty sure this is it: https://www.wwbw.com/Vandoren-Saxophone-Support-System-Harness-H93980.wwbw
As usual from Vandoren, it isn't cheap....

John

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,305 Posts
I have the Neotech Super for my old Buescher 400.
It's reasonably comfortable and does the job well enough for me.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I am 71 and play bari sax in the band I play in. There are two accessories without which I would not be able to play. First is the lightweight Cannonball bari sax case with wheels, and the second is the Vandoren Saxophone Support Harness. It is more expensive than some of the other options I have tried but for me it is worth every penny. Besides how much is your neck and spine worth to you?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I owned a bari briefly a few years ago, but got rid of it, because I figured out that it’s a lot more of a big deal in my mid 50’s to have that kind of weight hanging on my neck compared to what I remembered from my high school days. Maybe I should have tried one of those harnesses.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I use the BA sling with my bari, and it works great for me. Sort of a half harness. Simple, less restrictive than a full harness, and does the job well.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It’s like a merge of a sling and a strap, joined by a slider that distributes weight between them. The BA sling is sold by a Dutch shop called Blazersatelier (hence BA). It gives less weight reduction on the neck than a true harness, but more freedom.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,484 Posts
do try the saxholder Pro

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I've had problems with the joints in my neck for about 25 years now. About five years ago I found I couldn't play bari with a traditional sax strap any more — it was getting too painful. So I tried the Saxholder. It was fine on alto, not quite as good on tenor but usable; unfortunately, it was a complete waste of time on baritone, which is the sax I needed it for. So I tried a Neotech harness instead.

Wonderful. I now have two of them — one for each bari — and wouldn't be without them. The comfort of using them is wonderful, once you get used to the fact that you can no longer hold the instrument out horizontally in front of you, when you're honking and screaming.

I know there are other harnesses but I haven't tried them — no need, the Neotech is fine for me. One quick piece of advice: if you go for a Neotech harness on bari, ask for the over-sized one, the XL version.

It's possible to use the same harness for both bari and tenor, though, but I still use a neck strap on tenor. It's also made by Neotech, but the part that takes the weight is extra wide foam which cushions the neck well. XL version again ! The neck strap and the harness don't get in each other's way at all.

(That's me with the bari and Neotech harness on in my avatar photo, btw.)

·
39,484 Posts
I understand that you are happy about something but trying something else would, I am sure, open up a complete different world to you and anyone else whom has never tried a less than traditional approach.

I do own and have owned other brands the Neotech and I agree, they tend to be on the small side so getting the XL is a better choice if you cannot try before.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't know about the 'slings' and I liked the idea so I'm trying one of these first. basically a giant strap that goes over one shoulder and under the opposite arm. The trick will be how well it resists creeping. Whatever, if it doesn't work I'll pick a harness. Thanks for all the tips, particularly on sizing the Neotech Super.
The thing I made before was something like a sling in that it rested on the left shoulder except it was basically a wide leather belt. It was attached to a leather waist belt with a snap in front and a 'Chicago' screw in the back - kind of a 'Sam Browne' belt in that it crossed the body in front and back. There was a slider on the front that was adjustable and the lower half of a regular strap was attached to that. It actually worked well for years but I moved into a 'horn band' situation where I was not playing duals or baritone so I retired it. One thing about it was you had to have the shirt tucked in which I never do anymore - always play 'tail-out' now. I can find the darn thing I'll post it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,182 Posts
If standing the JazzLab Saxholder is a game changer. I even use one sitting.

·
39,484 Posts
If standing the JazzLab Saxholder is a game changer. I even use one sitting.
especially this last one is very suited to that because the abdominal support and shoulder supports are locking.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
What I did not like about the traditional harnesses that I have tried was the attachment point and length of the chord did not allow the horn to be held out in front very easily and I always felt like I was fighting to get the horn away from my body. I like the looks of the Jazz lab sax holder because the attachment point is up high with a long chord more like a traditional strap.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am 71 and play bari sax in the band I play in. There are two accessories without which I would not be able to play. First is the lightweight Cannonball bari sax case with wheels, and the second is the Vandoren Saxophone Support Harness. It is more expensive than some of the other options I have tried but for me it is worth every penny. Besides how much is your neck and spine worth to you?
I have a Vandoren Saxophone Support System Harness that I would sell for cheap.
I'll through in a free BG harness also.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,016 Posts
I don't play bari, but have a good friend who plays it in an r&b band and he recently got the Vandoren harness. It looks like a freakin' straight jacket from behind (I believe it's a metal brace), but he absolutely loves it and says it's the best one he's ever used. Again, this isn't personal experience, but he swears by it so for whatever that's worth! ;-)

Pretty sure this is it: https://www.wwbw.com/Vandoren-Saxophone-Support-System-Harness-H93980.wwbw
As usual from Vandoren, it isn't cheap....

John
I have the Vandoren strap and it's worked well for me. I have every back and neck issue known to mankind, and the Vandoren was the only strap that did not make things worse. It has two vertical plastic slats that link a waist strap to the shoulder straps and somehow create a lever effect with your shoulders acting as a fulcrum. I tried the JazzLab harness and it made things worse for me.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,836 Posts
Boston Sax Shop harness has been a game-changer for me. I love that it is small and portable. Fits easily in a side pouch on a case and might even fit in an accessories compartment, depending on size. Highly recommended.

- Saxaholic

1 - 20 of 58 Posts