Sax on the Web Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
That is very peculiar indeed! It's not unheard of good horns having a non-matching neck because the original got damaged or lost, but a replacement neck within 3 units of at the body serial number is indeed very odd!
"Hey Jacques, where is zat 40593 neck zat goes wiz ze sax"?
"Je ne sais quoi - take zis one. It's almost ze same".
"Merci"
2 hours later - looks on floor
"Oh, me.rde..............."

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
This is within a 2 hour drive for me - tempting. Don't know much about vintage Selmer clarinets but that could also be a nice bonus for someone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow, that is a unicorn... I’m with others my guess is it will go for at least $15k. Heck the just the Mouthpieces are probably at least $1k.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Well, based on the further discoveries discussed in the latest posts, I'm not sure it's that unicorn-ish any longer. It'll probably still sell well but I'm doubting it will even reach $10k at this point.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,705 Posts
I think this one you'd have to have in your hands to know for certain that it was relacquered. You'd have to look real carefully at the scratches around the bell stamp/engraving to see if any of them are beneath the lacquer.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Jaice (posts # 43,46) is a Master engraver. His opinion carries more weight than that of most of us here. Otherwise it is indeed hard to tell from pictures.

A couple signs of non originality to me: texture of the lacquer in closeups, the engraving rust poking through the lacquer at several spots, as opposed to the full engraved line rusting uniformity, like here. this tells me the lacquer was applied over the engraving. But again, I'm no expert.

I worry a lot about what's going on under the neck cork. The exposed brass is already corroded around the cork, and it looks like someone tried to carve the cork from under it. Given the look of this mouthpiece, who knows how it became this badly rusted, and what is the state of the tip of the neck under it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,390 Posts
Guto thanks for the vote of confidence. There are a number of indicators on the horn related to engraving and stamps, as well as finish aberrations. The serial on the neck is a very clear tell. The horn has obviously been buffed. My credentials are as Guto said. I'm a master engraver and have owned well over 1000 saxophones in addition to working closely with manufacturers, meticulously documenting saxophone history, etc.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
this looks just like the one on auction, why is it 130k? And it’s doesn’t work? Selmer Super Balanced Action SBA Tenor Saxophone | eBay
It’s been discussed here before. He clearly doesn’t want to sell it. Putting the price this high makes people talk about it and while they are at it, they check and buy some of his other items. Marketing!

BTW that sax is probably worth in the $15~20k range. It’s been listed at $150k for many months now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,998 Posts
"Hey Jacques, where is zat 40593 neck zat goes wiz ze sax"?
"Je ne sais quoi - take zis one. It's almost ze same".
"Merci"
2 hours later - looks on floor
"Oh, me.rde..............."
They put the good neck on the other horn, and that’s why this one looks so unused.

Reactions: Sacks Of Phones

·
Registered
S: SA II. A+T: Martin HC1 T: Mark VI A:39 King Zephyr B: Martin HC imperial
127 Posts
this looks just like the one on auction, why is it 130k? And it’s doesn’t work? Selmer Super Balanced Action SBA Tenor Saxophone | eBay
The horn appears to be one in mint condition. More pics here.

The price is obviously targeted to that the market segment wants a period piece to put in the trunk of the early 1950s Ferrari that they paid several million dollars for but does not run. This horn looks like it has never been played and if someone buys it for that it probably will never be played!

Personal philosophy is that there is absolutely no point paying more for a used sax than a new one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So, who here snagged it for $10,200+? ;)

(Plus over $1,800 for the auction fee, plus maybe taxes. Well over $12,000 for sure.)

Wherever it ends up, it would be fun to learn more about its true condition and outcome (and whether there was a flute hiding under the clarinet, or if the Link and neck that appeared to have been sitting in a swampy basement were salvageable, and so on). At that price it seems like a bit of a gamble for anyone other than a person with the ability to refurbish it themselves.

Fun discussion, in any case—thanks, all, and thanks to the OP for turning us on to this.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts