Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,998 Posts
There’s a kilodollar of ligatures there.

·
Formerly 1958SelmerMarkVI
1,503 Posts
Well it’s on a local auction and has 7 days left, was 750 this morning now it’s almost 3k about to be out of my price range. Scarce Selmer Professional Model Vintage Saxophone | Online Auctions | Proxibid
Unfortunately there aren't many screaming deals to be had at local auctions on stuff like this. It's tempting to think 'well, how many sax players could there be at a local auction?'. The reality is that all these local auction companies have their own websites, list on Craig's list, and usually have their auctions/items listed on a nationwide site such as auction zip as well. All of these are key word searchable, so it is easy for anyone in the country to find such an item. Further, most auction houses allow proxi/absentee bidding with shipping, so bidders from halfway across the country don't even need to be present. About the best you can hope for is an instance of the auction company screwing up the title in such a way as to not be easily found, and you just happen upon it at the live event.

·
Registered
1957 Conn 6M, 1924 Conn C Melody gold plated time capsule, Antigua Powerbell Tenor
74 Posts
I would never have the money for something like that but wow, that's so cool! With the clarinet and the neat case just wow!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cool find; looks like rubber bands or strings tied on some of the keys? And some green corrosion on some items. And the clarinet looks a bit rough. But yeah, it’s going to sell for a lot and someone will have a really nice fixer-upper along with some mouthpieces and ligatures that also have value. Maybe Brian from get-a-sax will indeed pick it up, have Matt Stohrer or similar give it an overhaul, and he’ll list it for a juicy 5-figure price. :) And list the Brilhart ligature and the (likely) Otto Link and all of the rest of the mouthpieces separately.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Yeah, it looks like there are two Brilhart pieces and two vintage Brilhart ligs as well as a vintage metal Link and a Selmer Soloist so lots of valuable extras. A friend of mine sent me an auction listing like this about 6 weeks ago for an SBA tenor and some extras. That horn appeared to need some work as well. It went for over $5k not including the 18% premium which added another $1000 to the end price that was paid.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,256 Posts
With all the case candy and the horn - if it is not a scam - around 15k.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I got some extra photos of it. It's weird because the engraving is nice, but the neck serial is almost invisible. Is it the cleanest factory relacquer ever? Each of those numbers is a separate stamp, so it's not like it was only hit once too light. Plus the mouthpiece on the neck looks like it came out of a swamp and there are rubber bands standing in for the worn out springs -- but the horn looks factory fresh and new! So, it's probably a very well done relacquer. The serial stamp on the body is also faint, and there is a hint of red inside the bell stamp lettering. I could be wrong, but I don't think I'll drop big dough on this one. Somebody will though. I predict it will sell as if it were totally original. No returns on auctions, and 18% buyer's premium. That means if someone bids $15k, they will actually pay nearly $18k plus tax! That's over $19k with tax for a relacquer that needs an overhaul. Caveat emptor in a big way. Yikes. Maybe I'll change my mind and bid, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got some extra photos of it. It's weird because the engraving is nice, but the neck serial is almost invisible. Is it the cleanest factory relacquer ever? Each of those numbers is a separate stamp, so it's not like it was only hit once too light. Plus the mouthpiece on the neck looks like it came out of a swamp and there are rubber bands standing in for the worn out springs -- but the horn looks factory fresh and new!
Good to hear your thoughts on this with your experienced eyes. It’s certainly a strange mix; I’d be curious to know the story behind it (including the rubber bands). My guess is that it sat somewhere, with the Link and other things quietly corroding, for a very long time. A time (and $$) consuming project that someone will no doubt take on in this market.

A related (but bit far afield) question: did Selmer keep records of factory relaqs by serial number? That would be a useful bit of data to a lot of people...

·
Registered
656 Posts
I got some extra photos of it. It's weird because the engraving is nice, but the neck serial is almost invisible. Is it the cleanest factory relacquer ever? Each of those numbers is a separate stamp, so it's not like it was only hit once too light. Plus the mouthpiece on the neck looks like it came out of a swamp and there are rubber bands standing in for the worn out springs -- but the horn looks factory fresh and new! So, it's probably a very well done relacquer. The serial stamp on the body is also faint, and there is a hint of red inside the bell stamp lettering. I could be wrong, but I don't think I'll drop big dough on this one. Somebody will though. I predict it will sell as if it were totally original. No returns on auctions, and 18% buyer's premium. That means if someone bids $15k, they will actually pay nearly $18k plus tax! That's over $19k with tax for a relacquer that needs an overhaul. Caveat emptor in a big way. Yikes. Maybe I'll change my mind and bid, but I don't think so. View attachment 103741
Could you post the other photos, too? The stamp might just appear faint because of the photo. I've seen plenty of photos that make an original lacquer horn look like a relac.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Could you post the other photos, too? The stamp might just appear faint because of the photo. I've seen plenty of photos that make an original lacquer horn look like a relac.
more photos are now in the original auction posting linked to by the OP above, including the one of the neck serial number shown here.

·
Registered
262 Posts
They're posted on the auction site, but in person the guy could not even see the neck serial. I had to ask him to take zoomed in photos, and then he could see it. It's an odd one for sure.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yeah, there are a few odd things about it. Original or relac, it's no doubt a beautiful horn. The condition of the case and mouthpieces would be in line with the horn not having been used or relacquered, but it's weird the owner would have so many mouthpieces and reeds but barely play the horn. A few of the neck serial numbers look like they were double stamped, too. Maybe it was just the new guy learning how it's done, and that would explain why they're not very deep. The engraving doesn't look like it was cut through the lacquer, which might suggest it having been relacquered. The resos and setup look like Selmer. Could this be one of those early SBA's that was immediately returned/refinished because of lacquer issues???

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I'd agree it obviously hasn't been played recently but there's all kinds of wear on the right hand key-touches and the horn is covered in rubber bands because the springs are worn out or broken. To me it looks more like a time capsule from sometime before the 1970's. My guess would be that it was being played pretty regularly until 50+ years ago when whomever owned it probably passed away and it's be sitting in an attic or basement ever since.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,138 Posts
Did anybody else notice the neck stamp is 40593 and the body stamp is 40596? That should knock a few thousand off the price. Haha. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,998 Posts
... but it's weird the owner would have so many mouthpieces and reeds but barely play the horn...
I thought that was a modern thing too. Why would they have done something like that before the internet was invented?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Did anybody else notice the neck stamp is 40593 and the body stamp is 40596? That should knock a few thousand off the price. Haha. ;)
That is very peculiar indeed! It's not unheard of good horns having a non-matching neck because the original got damaged or lost, but a replacement neck within 3 units of at the body serial number is indeed very odd!

21 - 40 of 83 Posts