Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using the grey, lightweight case that came with my Selmer SA80 II Alto. It looks neat and is light, but the lid of the case apparently weighs more than the base does, even with the sax in it. If you open the case and don't hold down the base, it flips over. This happens even more violently if you carry music and a metronome in the zippered pouch on the lid. Recently, I didn't hold down the base as I opened the case and my saxophone was catapulted out of the case and onto the ground, resulting in $150.00 worth of repairs.

So I need a new case. But, like all saxophonists, I'm particular about everything.

- Larger Accessory Spot My old case's accessory spot did not have a lid, and was very small. Once I put a reed case, and a bag with my mouthpieces and ligs in it, there was no room for my neckstrap or anything else I wanted to carry.

- A Place for Music, Scores and Dr. Beat

- Sturdy As a college student, I play every single day. And my horn is in and out of a locker, as well as carried all over campus all day. I need a case that can hold up.

I was told about the Pro Tec Alto/Sop Combination Pro Pac w/ Wheels and it seems to have gotten good reviews. I do not own a Soprano yet, but I like the idea of a physically bigger case that can hold more accessories. The price is a little steep for me right now (I found one for $199.00) but I assume any decent case is going to be around that price range.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement case that can meet the needs I have?

Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gary,

My case is similar to the one in the pic, but not the same. My horn was made in 2007, so perhaps it's a newer version of the same case? (Or an older one if your horn is newer than 2007). I tried to upload some pictures of my case, but the site is telling me there are errors. Ohh well.

I do understand that most cases are top heavy, especially if there is a lid pouch. My thinking behind the Pro Tec Combo case was that, if the base of the case is physically larger to accommodate two horns, that would give it more weight while the lid remained the same. If I'm correct, that could prevent it tipping over.

What I do know is, there are cases out there that do not tip over when you open the lid.

I can work around price, but if I can get the Pro Tec Combo for $199.00 and most other cases are at least that much or more, then I think I may have found a good deal.

As for the wheels; they concern me as well. However, I would think that the designers of the bag would have taken in account the "jarr" factor that wheels present and have prepared for it. If horns were being damaged by being in a roller bag, the bags would get poor ratings, and after word got out, those bags would not sell. And it's not like I'd be taking it off-road, or using the wheels to go up a flight of stairs.

I could keep the case I have, yes, but I don't think that taking my saxophone out of it's case should take as much effort as it does, just to keep the contents from spilling out. I shouldn't have to apply significant downward force while holding my saxophone upright on the case just to keep it from tipping as I'm inserting the neck and mouthpiece. It just seems like a poor design that made it through to production to me. Then again, perhaps wheels are a poor design that made it through as well. lol.

Regardless, thanks for all the input. It's at least getting me to think about it more before making a purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Smonkman,

I understand that cases tip once the horn has been removed, but they shouldn't tip with the horn(s) in them just from lifting the lid. That's my biggest gripe about my current one.

Do you use the wheels? Or do you only carry it on your shoulder?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the case is stood up right, isn't the weight of the soprano being held by the molding around the bell, rather than the tip of the horn?

Despite the drawbacks you mentioned, what are the things you love about it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts