Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using the grey, lightweight case that came with my Selmer SA80 II Alto. It looks neat and is light, but the lid of the case apparently weighs more than the base does, even with the sax in it. If you open the case and don't hold down the base, it flips over. This happens even more violently if you carry music and a metronome in the zippered pouch on the lid. Recently, I didn't hold down the base as I opened the case and my saxophone was catapulted out of the case and onto the ground, resulting in $150.00 worth of repairs.

So I need a new case. But, like all saxophonists, I'm particular about everything.

- Larger Accessory Spot My old case's accessory spot did not have a lid, and was very small. Once I put a reed case, and a bag with my mouthpieces and ligs in it, there was no room for my neckstrap or anything else I wanted to carry.

- A Place for Music, Scores and Dr. Beat

- Sturdy As a college student, I play every single day. And my horn is in and out of a locker, as well as carried all over campus all day. I need a case that can hold up.

I was told about the Pro Tec Alto/Sop Combination Pro Pac w/ Wheels and it seems to have gotten good reviews. I do not own a Soprano yet, but I like the idea of a physically bigger case that can hold more accessories. The price is a little steep for me right now (I found one for $199.00) but I assume any decent case is going to be around that price range.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement case that can meet the needs I have?

Jeff

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you go with the protec, dont use the wheels. You horns arent built to handle the stress of bumps.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I won't even use a case with wheels on a bari.

·
Registered
248 Posts
my advice would be too keep the case and be wary of it doing the same thing. it's a good case, IMO. I've slipped on ice and fallen on top of it before and my horn was still gig worthy. Your call, but I wouldn't spend money because of something that you know you won't let happen ever again. it's not a mistake you make twice.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The Protec contoured. Has two large pockets on either side. It cost about $140. It comes in colors if you're tired of black. It's light and easy to carry over your shoulder.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Jeff, first, the (chorus hit) Eliminators!

Eliminator I: every case I know about that has a pouch on the outside for additional storage has it on the topside, because if it was on the bottom you couldn't lie the case flat. And that means then, that if the pouch has stuff in it there's the problem of the top heaviness of it will pull it over. So you either have to learn to live with it or eliminate most if not all cases configured like that, and that's a lot of cases.
- - what I did with mine was simply to make sure that there was always some kind of sturdy surface behind it . like the back of a chair, so that when I opened my case, the case, even if it leaned backwards, it had something to lean up against.

Eliminator II: formed or contoured cases. If it's traditional,e.g. w/no outer pouches=no external storage space. If it has external pouches, you have the problem of balance when you go t open it. In either case, most such cases have little internal space.
- - exceptions, some cases have internal slots near the upper stack and along the bell for a neck and mpc. but nowhere near the internal space you want.

Eliminator III: your price is low. the only type case that fits the bill I think you are describing is a traditional chesterfield case and they don't usually come cheap, if you can find one.

Compromises: Hiscox. does not have the total storage you seem to want, and no external storage pouches, but it does have internal storage, is very protective, pretty light and is somewhat compact.

My advice? You gotta learn to"love the one you're with".

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
p.s. Jeff - is this the case you're talking about?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gary,

My case is similar to the one in the pic, but not the same. My horn was made in 2007, so perhaps it's a newer version of the same case? (Or an older one if your horn is newer than 2007). I tried to upload some pictures of my case, but the site is telling me there are errors. Ohh well.

I do understand that most cases are top heavy, especially if there is a lid pouch. My thinking behind the Pro Tec Combo case was that, if the base of the case is physically larger to accommodate two horns, that would give it more weight while the lid remained the same. If I'm correct, that could prevent it tipping over.

What I do know is, there are cases out there that do not tip over when you open the lid.

I can work around price, but if I can get the Pro Tec Combo for $199.00 and most other cases are at least that much or more, then I think I may have found a good deal.

As for the wheels; they concern me as well. However, I would think that the designers of the bag would have taken in account the "jarr" factor that wheels present and have prepared for it. If horns were being damaged by being in a roller bag, the bags would get poor ratings, and after word got out, those bags would not sell. And it's not like I'd be taking it off-road, or using the wheels to go up a flight of stairs.

I could keep the case I have, yes, but I don't think that taking my saxophone out of it's case should take as much effort as it does, just to keep the contents from spilling out. I shouldn't have to apply significant downward force while holding my saxophone upright on the case just to keep it from tipping as I'm inserting the neck and mouthpiece. It just seems like a poor design that made it through to production to me. Then again, perhaps wheels are a poor design that made it through as well. lol.

Regardless, thanks for all the input. It's at least getting me to think about it more before making a purchase.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,803 Posts
Protec all the way, they are robust while reasonably lightweight and have space for a number of things. hiscox are great to send your horn in the luggage compartment because they are the sturdiest thing around but they are heavy and have very little space for anything else.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
Hiscox produce one of the best cases. No room for the music though.I use a rucksack and stick all the music and percussion, leads, bottle of water etc etc in the rucksack.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Be careful about a double-case (two horns in one case). Unless you have the arm strength of a chimp and stainless-steel shoulder sockets, the thing will become VERY heavy VERY quickly. After having done that, I went back to separate cases for each instrument and they are much easier to carry or stash in car trunks, etc. DAVE

·
Registered
711 Posts
I own and us the Protec double case and while there are many things I love about it, it has its drawbacks.
1. The wheels and handle only add the the weight over the case, which is extremely heavy once I put my 2 horns in. I only use this case when I have to get from my car to the door, minimal walking and carrying.
2. It's bulky. GOing through doorways with this case on your shoulder almost always results in a door frame being whacked.
3. The soprano sits upside down in the case, meaning, when the case is stood up right (as if you were going to use the wheels) all of the weight of the horn is on the tip of the sop (where the cork is) to make matters worse, there is no padding here. Only felt ontop of plywood.
4. Because I only use the shoulder strap to carry the case the screws that attach the fabric to the plywood have all ripped out. Thankfully protec has a 5 year warranty which I fully plan on using.

Oh, and just for the record, once you take the alto out, the case tips over. Almost all cases do this, is physics.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Smonkman,

I understand that cases tip once the horn has been removed, but they shouldn't tip with the horn(s) in them just from lifting the lid. That's my biggest gripe about my current one.

Do you use the wheels? Or do you only carry it on your shoulder?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the case is stood up right, isn't the weight of the soprano being held by the molding around the bell, rather than the tip of the horn?

Despite the drawbacks you mentioned, what are the things you love about it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Iv'e got a case, its' a semi hard,strong, lite,got a pocket and pertitions in side,comes with shoulder straps,ive' used it on the streets busking for 5 yrs, and its still going! it does'ent fall over and cost £100 called a trevor james vary stylish, and the zips are strong,made in the uk, you could also try Gator cases uk they also make byspoke cases. "hpoe you find what your looking for"

·
Registered
711 Posts
Smonkman,

I understand that cases tip once the horn has been removed, but they shouldn't tip with the horn(s) in them just from lifting the lid. That's my biggest gripe about my current one.

Do you use the wheels? Or do you only carry it on your shoulder?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the case is stood up right, isn't the weight of the soprano being held by the molding around the bell, rather than the tip of the horn?

Despite the drawbacks you mentioned, what are the things you love about it?
You can see my initial review of it here.http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?130407-ProTec-Alto-Soprano-Double-Case-Review

I never use wheels on any case. Until they create a case with shocks and suspensions all the energry from each bump is being transferred directly into your horn. You can use your wheels if you'd like, I know your tech would love you.
This case tips if you have anything in the front pouch (I carry a 1.5" binder with music) and will forcefully tip as soon as the alto is removed (leaving the sop to go rolling).
Once the case is upright, it should be held by the molding around the bell, but that has since failed, leaving the sop resting on its neck.

I use this case out of necessity, 95% of my gigs require alto and sop and this is the most compact way for me to transport them. It is hell if I have to walk any distance or navigate people and/or doorways. Anytime I only need to one horn, I take it in it's stock Yamaha case.
If you are working gigs where you always need sop and alto then this will work for you (in you original post you mention not owning a sop though.) but there are better options out there for single horn transport.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts