Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a short shank Selmer Soloist D and it was just delivered today. Upon inspecting the mouthpiece, I noticed that there were markings on the baffle near the tip of the mouthpiece. I then measured the tip opening with my Theo Wanne gauge and noted that the measurement is .075.

From my experience with previous vintage Selmer Soloists (a C* and a C**) and information in other forums, typically the actual tip measurement would come out at .005 below what it should be based on the Selmer charts (e.g., a C* is supposed to measure at around .067 but would actually measure at .062, etc.). So, I expected that the D would measure at around .070.

As noted above, the D I bought measures at .075 (which is line with the charts but deviates from the expected measurement). The measurement, together with the markings on the baffle, make me inclined to believe that the mouthpiece has been refaced. I would like to get the input of others here who are knowledgable or who have extensive experience with the vintage Selmer Soloists as to whether the mouthpiece has in fact been refaced. I have attached 2 photos as references.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4590.jpg IMG_4589.jpg

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have this one available which is also a 75 tip, its not unusual at all although Selmers can be quite inconsistent .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312321629625
Thanks, Kritavi. What are your thoughts on what appear to be sanding done on the baffle near the tip of the mouthpiece? You can clearly see how that area looks different from the rest of the baffle area.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I've never seen an original soloist have work marks like that on the baffle. I think someone has worked on that. All the ones I have seen have beautiful roll over baffles with a very smooth and flowing contour.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never seen an original soloist have work marks like that on the baffle. I think someone has worked on that. All the ones I have seen have beautiful roll over baffles with a very smooth and flowing contour.
Yeah, that's what I immediately noticed. Contrast to my C* (pictures attached), which have no such marks on the baffle. The only other times I've seen marks like the one on the D are on Blackwood Joe's projects.

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,091 Posts
In addition to baffle marks the tip rail is not the shape Selmer uses.
I happen to not be in love with their front heavy tip rail but its what they use.
The piece has been altered.

The work doesnt look highly finished...it may play just fine.
Its worlds better than a backwoods reface...at least by appearances.
...But its not original.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I hope it may be useful if I post a few pics of some of my pieces, to give an idea of original facings

On the left are Long shank and short shank soloists, together with ( on the right ) the version just before the short shank, which has the round throat as opposed to the horseshoe soloists.

The two soloists are original. The non soloist was a D, butI had it refaced to an E by Morgan Fry.

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,091 Posts
Well, I stand corrected about the tip rail...but the ones Ive seen are thick in the middle (and thats a lot) But obviously not all...yours are not so much.

...but the baffle on the OP pieces has been reworked by all appearances.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, all. I think I’m going to return this one and buy another. It plays well enough, but I want to make sure I don’t take a significant hit in the event I want/need to resell it in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts