Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has Kenny Garrett become the new Brecker?

This is not a comparison thread so hopefully this thread won't go there. Just like Brecker's style seemed to captivate many of us over 40, It seems Kenny Garrett sound concept has captivated the 20 year old players. He's become the sound to emulate and it's not a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
15,494 Posts
To each his own.
Maybe the younger kids are chasing it, but over time, you learn that you have YOUR OWN blueprint.
You can go after whatever sound you want to go after, but experience and time along with maturity, allows you to find YOU.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,899 Posts
I don't know the answer to that question, but his sound and total concept are so dinstinctive, I would say that very few since Brecker have been as original. That I'm aware of or can recall right now...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The title should read - Has Kenny Garrett become the new Brecker? I tried to edit the title but apparently it hasn’t changed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,386 Posts
They are both Iconic and worth listening/enjoying /learning from and /copying. Every great player mines from his/her heroes. If people start at Kenny and then dig deeper into his influences that would be the best way to get that concept. K

·
Registered
32 Posts
As a highschool player, I can say that Kenny's sound has captivated me ever since I started playing (I'm an alto player, and double on the side when needed) and still does today. His sound is incredibly unique, and just sends chills down my spine when you hear him playing. I first heard him with Miles and his solo on Human Nature blew my mind. I learned to play with energy building in solos from him and still love to use his split tone stuff as climax points in solos! His own bandleader stuff is also incredibly unique to me and I feel like that's what ACTUALLY gives him his sound. I feel like if he played an "A" and I played an "A" there would only be slight differences, maybe in the attacks but that's it. I think his super "out" playing and his in the pocket rhythms is what gives him his sound, crazy as that sounds. I do admit that I wanted his sound so badly I got a custom piece that was made to model Kenny's Soloist, with the baffle added. Also, I just thought about it, and all of his own songs he does are in the HARDEST keys to play in. Soooo much fun to transcribe :hmph: .

Anyways that's straight from a new generation player, although I'm not 20 like you mentioned I'm not far off, and I know a lot of good highschool/Uni players that are in love with his sound. Lots of them actually shell out tons for original short shank Soloists, which I think is insane at their prices! (and they play like classical pieces unless you shell out another 100 to touch the pieces up!)

Just as a side note, I still hold Brecker over Kenny just a bit, I can't think of someone who continuously blows my mind everytime I listen to them other then Brecker. I just wish I could've seen him live, or even met him! Now if only I could transcribe Brecker...

Josh

·
Registered
32 Posts
They are both Iconic and worth listening/enjoying /learning from and /copying. Every great player mines from his/her heroes. If people start at Kenny and then dig deeper into his influences that would be the best way to get that concept. K
Yeah I once asked Jeff Coffin about Kenny Garrett when he played at my high school, and Jeff said that Kenny got a lot of his playing from Maceo Parker. If you listen to Maceo you can see where Kenny developed his sound from! Maceo's stuff is also killer btw!

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
I’d rather listen to Miguel Zenon. I got to hear him live a few years ago and he had the classic great Meyer alto sound I like.
Also a really interesting composer with great ideas. He can play.

·
Registered
919 Posts
and I know a lot of good highschool/Uni players that are in love with his sound. Lots of them actually shell out tons for original short shank Soloists, which I think is insane at their prices! (and they play like classical pieces unless you shell out another 100 to touch the pieces up!)
Just a quick point, which has been raised here previously........

He plays a long shank soloist. NOT a short shank.

Ive yet to see any pictures of him on a short shank, but would be happy to see such a picture.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Re: Has Kenny Garrett become the new Brecker?

Kenny Garrett has a unique sound and approach. He's been playing his a%* off for a few decades now.

I think his Soloist has a modified huge tip opening, like .096 or something.

·
Registered
123 Posts
his Human Nature is pretty awesome and I'm working with his 2002 Moose the Mooche. What other recordings should go into the queue?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just a quick point, which has been raised here previously........

He plays a long shank soloist. NOT a short shank.

Ive yet to see any pictures of him on a short shank, but would be happy to see such a picture.
Yeah... Its disputed, idk where the original short shank argument came in, but the short shanks are much more prized than the long shanks, for whatever reason.

his Human Nature is pretty awesome and I'm working with his 2002 Moose the Mooche. What other recordings should go into the queue?
His Hannibal solo with Miles is really good too. His other human nature solos are also killer. I think his Sing a Song of Song is great, and for super funky stuff his Happy People album is really nice!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Kenny is amazing. He has such a distinct style and like Brecker can really play in any genre, from out to straight ahead to killer funky. Both have an amazing way of building a solo.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There is only one Brecker. I think a serious player of any age will realize this. Kenny Garrett is absolutely amazing, and one of my favorite, not sure he'll ever have the impact Brecker did.

+1 for Miguel Zenon.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
KG is a terrific player whom I don't want to demean. But I can't think of anyone who had the command of the sax in the jazz, funk and pop contexts that MB did. Swing to funk grooves, ability to jump from low Bb to altissimo way up to the stratosphere, conceiving and perfectly executing incredible 16th note lines, etc.... Maybe KG is able to play with more sustained intensity than MB did. It's a different thing.

Lots of the young kids are influenced by Chris Potter. Also not a bad thing. For whatever reason I haven't got into him as much but recently caught the Circuits Trio in concert and it knocked me out. I'll have to check out Potter's playing with Steely Dan to see how he does playing pop music.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The title should read - Has Kenny Garrett become the new Brecker? I tried to edit the title but apparently it hasn’t changed.
Nobody plays like Brecker.

I got "Don't try this at home" gifted in the early nineties, and I was floored! Until then, I had mainly listened to Joe Henderson, Ben Webster, Coltrane, and such ... Michael Brecker's energy was totally unique for me.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I just want to point out that I was thinking this was the case about fifteen years ago when I hit 20. Kenny Garret has been the sound and stylistic goal for most university alto players for the past fifteen years at least. This definitely isn’t new. Chris Potter has been the guy for tenor with a recent resurgence of Mark Turner.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
For my personal tastes, those are my all-time two favorite players. I love tons of sax players, but Brecker and Garrett are the two I think I'll always go back to, and who've influenced my playing the most. I'd have a hard time deciding who I like better, I guess it's just that I like them for different reasons.

What I think that they both share is that they can play their asses off on straight ahead stuff, but aren't afraid to play with a more modern style/inflection on some tunes. They both could be really aggressive and emotional players, although in two different ways.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts