Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
R&C 2V Sop, YAS61S, YTS61S, YBS62.
827 Posts
All the great music I hear today in what might be considered the Jazz idiom doesn’t feel rooted in the acedemic. Most of it is European or Scandinavian and, while sometimes complex, often feels like folk songs: gorgeous melodies played over simple harmony.

By contrast, a lot of the big American players sound very academic to me. They’ve been through the system and it shows.

Living in Australia, I’m as culturally distant from Jazz as an Indian is to Polka. I won’t find anything distinct to say relying on the academic.

· Registered
827 Posts
Miles and Coltrane damn near killed off jazz [/]
Maybe (I don't agree) but...at least it was mostly theirs to make that choice with.

I hate to say it, but this scholarization of jazz came very a propos, as young women, ever wanting to compete with young men, but not having the ear and the balls to go for real jazz, loved learning written notes, and it helped feminists that women could learn jazz in school, by the numbers. To be honest, jazz is by nature, a male thing, an enterprise that takes confidence, a certain amount of seediness, and pluck.
[/]
No 'maybe' here.... just total BS.

· Registered
827 Posts
Hey, that's your choice brother; sure ain't mine. I'm feeling Deja Vu here though; didn't you rail this same sort of comment at me years ago, or was that someone else?
At any rate, since you went there I'll follow:

To write off EVERYTHING someone says simply because you practice a different religion (atheists and agnostics are often as "religious" about their beliefs as anyone else) shows your absolute prejudice. I would never even think of writing off everything you say about art because of whatever beliefs you do or do not have about a Creator. You should think long and hard about this. I bet you agree with many people on many issues - people who do not share your spiritual beliefs at all.
In reality, when someone says the kind of thing you said, it is often just a nasty insult to be "dismissive" and not make cogent arguments about the actual points being made.
No worries Dave.

You needn't worry about any silly thing I say. Just put God first in your life and you'll be fine.

· Registered
827 Posts
All praise to Him, the G-man of light
Who formed the long notes by His might
All praise to Him Who plays with stars
That sing His fame in tunes afar
All praise to Him Who reigns in love
Who guides the altissimo from above
Yet bends notes for our every prayer
With sovereign pow'r and tender care

1 - 6 of 6 Posts