Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The demos at the bottom of the page are impressive. At $360 to Europe I'm wondering if there isn't something cheaper and whether they even still sell these?

I'm without a sax at the moment and going crazy with the original sounds of the VL70m, they're mostly... just not adequate.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I had the Patchman chip installed in my unit when I bought it from them about 10 years ago. I think the sounds are better but for me I wouldn't say they are "night and day" different. I never bothered to play around swapping the chips back and forth to compare them directly and others may have a different feeling but in the end, for me, they are still synth generated sounds.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... but in the end, for me, they are still synth generated sounds.
Absolutely, they sound good, but a lot of that is the skill of the person doing the demo. For example, I've messed with imitating Toots or Stevie with
harmonica patches on my Roland (guitar) synth, but I find no matter who's playing, the sound eventually gets stale and 'synthy'. If the chip was $99 including shipping, I'd maybe go for it. The other banks are cheaper but it looks like they can't easily be loaded with new OS and anyway are limited to a few custom patches at a time. The jones for a real saxophone is killing me. It's the end of the school year and the store calls back all the rentals until September. I'm looking to buy a used instrument in the States next month and bring it back.

As someone else said in the AE-10 thread, practicing between a real sax and a wind controller is pretty awful, unless you're really serious about playing both. After renting a real instrument, playing the WX5 is really sloppy, especially the Bb key and playing around the break. I can't wait to get my hands on an alto.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Yes, pretty much my experience as well. I haven't played my WX5/VL70 combo in quite some time. The strongest part of my sax playing is my fingering technique so I have very few problems playing the WX5 from a technical standpoint. It's just not very satisfying compared to a real sax when it comes to the feedback the instrument is giving me so I don't reach for it very often these days. I'm not saying they don't have their place but for me, with the limited amount of time I have to play, it's not on the top of my list.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,010 Posts
I had the Patchman chip installed in my unit when I bought it from them about 10 years ago. I think the sounds are better but for me I wouldn't say they are "night and day" different. I never bothered to play around swapping the chips back and forth to compare them directly and others may have a different feeling but in the end, for me, they are still synth generated sounds.
Same here, exactly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts