Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all ,

Just wondering if anyone has tried the TW neck on an older Yani tenor, and whether it made much of a difference.

I do have a T991 from over 18 years ago, and also a PM64 from about 15 years ago. I find that the Yani , from in front of the horns (via recordings) plays more vibrantly and bigger than the PM, but the Mauriat seems to have more core. I played the Yani with the P Mauriat neck, and I find that I gain some core and lose some volume/vibrancy. The Yani neck has a larger bore than the P-Mauriat's neck , as it is loose on the Yani's and the Yani neck is too big to fit on the P-Mauriat tenor. I don't know if there is a bore size versus core correlation with sax necks, that may explain my observation. In the past, I tried a T992 neck on my 991, and felt it mellowed the sound even further than I wanted.

Kessler's s website ( https://www.kesslerandsons.com/product/yanagisawa-tenor-sax-neck/) claims the TW necks bring a thicker sound, and I wanted to get some independent feedback. I am looking for more core in the T991, and but do not want to sacrifice too much of the volume.

Thank you

OO

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
Guys are taking the neck-swap concept and running wild with it judging by this and other threads that have been popping up. Typically, we are talking about swapping necks with other original necks for our instrument. Additionally, the manufacturer may be offering new necks for it in designs/materials not available when it was made or not provided with it when new, so that's all legitimate. Then you have aftermarket necks by certain shops that develop necks for particular instruments - once again, these can be beneficial, particularly when the original neck is lost or damaged.
Otherwise, wanting to change your sound usually means changing the way you play or maybe your mouthpiece. Sometimes you have to play different saxes to get what you're looking for.
Putting on a neck that has no connection with your horn and doesn't come close to fitting in the first place probably is going to be a futile exercise. You could get lucky but be sure to thoroughly check out the intonation and response throughout the horn.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guys are taking the neck-swap concept and running wild with it judging by this and other threads that have been popping up. Typically, we are talking about swapping necks with other original necks for our instrument. Additionally, the manufacturer may be offering new necks for it in designs/materials not available when it was made or not provided with it when new, so that's all legitimate. Then you have aftermarket necks by certain shops that develop necks for particular instruments - once again, these can be beneficial, particularly when the original neck is lost or damaged.
Otherwise, wanting to change your sound usually means changing the way you play or maybe your mouthpiece. Sometimes you have to play different saxes to get what you're looking for.
Putting on a neck that has no connection with your horn and doesn't come close to fitting in the first place probably is going to be a futile exercise. You could get lucky but be sure to thoroughly check out the intonation and response throughout the horn.
Sir, so have you tried the TW neck on a T9xxx saxophone and noticed the advertised difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
I tried my AW032 neck with my Yani A991. Not much of a difference at all.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to order the neck this week . I will report my observations, hopefully with recordings of simple ideas with the three necks (original , PM, and new). I feel the 3 days trial is too short, but lets see what happens.

Thanks

OO

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I assume you are referring to the WO-series necks. According to everything I have seen on this topic, the WO necks are not supposed to have changed in internal geometry from the 9xx-series necks. Thus, if you get a replacement WO10 neck (brass, underslung octave key), theoretically it should perform the same as your existing 991 neck (brass, underslung octave key). Of course, any two necks of the same design may differ, but be careful of mistaking that type of variation for an inherent distinction between TWO10 necks and T991 necks.

Kessler claims that the WO necks use heavier brass than their predecessors, which produces a "thicker tone." The Kessler website is full of assertions of this kind (more mass virtually anywhere on the horn makes the tone richer), but exactly how the improvement is supposed to occur is never explained. Anywhere, I suggest that if you are taking this type of claim seriously, you may as well go all the way and get a TWO20 neck (bronze). That way you'll experience the maximum gain in mass without springing for an expensive sterling silver neck. If you're hoping for the best chance of an improvement for yourself, rather than merely testing a claim about the effects of different gauges of brass, then go for the bronze.

One caution: I wouldn't conclude that one neck has a larger bore than another neck based solely on the external diameter of their tenons (Yany vs. P. Mauriat). It could be true, but I don't think it's necessarily true.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,707 Posts
Problem is that with neck trials you will be luck if it fits. It may be too tight or not tight enough resulting in air leaks.

I did the neck chase once. I decided the problem was the horn and ditched the whole business.

On my current horn I tried a couple of alternatives. They had their qualities but like most in the chase I went full circle back to the original.

Since I bought used I didnt no real money was lost and it was interesting...but I think Im done with that (at least for today).

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wouldn’t expect much if any difference. I tried the new version of the bronze neck on my 990 alto and although there was a slight shift in tone, the tone wasn’t different enough that I couldn’t get the same result just by how I played or switching to a different reed.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Problem is that with neck trials you will be luck if it fits. It may be too tight or not tight enough resulting in air leaks.
I certainly had that problem with Selmer Paris alto necks. However, my experience with Yanys has been good. An A992 neck fits my A990μ. An SC992 neck fits my SC901. There have been many accounts in SOTW about trying different Yanagisawa necks, and I can't recall one that complained about an unworkable fit. The odds with Yany appear to be in your favor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
I agree with that. Also Yamaha necks always seem to fit their horns very well.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I am going to order the neck this week . I will report my observations, hopefully with recordings of simple ideas with the three necks (original , PM, and new). I feel the 3 days trial is too short, but lets see what happens.

Thanks

OO
So what happened? See any difference? I'm curious about putting a TWO2 neck on my TWO1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts