Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that I am a bit new to the jazz scene I am randomly trying different reeds and mpc. I ordered one, #6 and not so sure how I feel about it. Anyone else tried these and liked them? So, what would be another good jazz mpc to try out? I'm not so sold on metal mpc on altos.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,921 Posts
I play a Pomarico and love it for the sound and ease of playing. Sound is clear and compact, not bright. Perfect for jazz, but also very good for classical.
Another good piece I play is an old Selmer Clarion, also in crystal.
I have another Pomarico crystal for sale.

EDIT: I just saw that this is in the alto mpc section. I assumed it was in the clarinet section. :faceinpalm: My comments above are for clarinet. I'll just leave them as they are.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
MidKat...if you are thinking of unloading it, let me know. I always wanted one of those....

What's your (desired) sound ? I mean, a Meyer 6 is considered a good jazz mouthpiece...amd so is an Otto Link Metal. But they are at opposite poles of the sound/tonality spectrum. Do you want a dark tone, or a bright/edgy tone ?

Some favorites around here which don't break the bank are the Meyer Rubbers, also Vandoren V16's or Javas. Hite Premiers are good and inexpensive, dark-sounding mouthpieces as well. Most of those will round and darken the tone of a Yammy. They will widen the low overtones more than your C*.

I don't do "bright & bite" myself, so perhaps someone else can suggest edgier, punchier Jazz m'pieces, if that's what you are after....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I would much more prefer a mite darker sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts