Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read great things about Dr. Pillinger's work. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience playing this specific piece, especially if you've also tried a short shank Soloist and can compare/contrast. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hi MrBlueNote, yes, I have a #7 S tenor piece of Ed Pillinger's at home at the moment; it's a Long Shank type piece. It's quite a bright piece, very well focused and has the characteristic throatiness of the horseshoe chamber.
I rate Ed's work extremely highly; his work is meticulous and his facings are very even indeed, so any piece of his is going to play with great clarity, which can sometimes feels like brightness from the playing end.
It's a while since I played a short shank Soloist, but I remember the particular one I did play being a bit darker. However bear in mind that Selmer's quality control has never been up to the standards of a CNC made facing.
My take is that if you want a real clean focus (that only a smaller throat can give), well beyond what you can get on a larger chambered piece, but not as aggressive as a modern small chambered, high baffled piece, then Ed's S might well fit the bill.

(I'm personally tempted to ask him to reduce the baffle and tip bit because I was looking for a really good semi-classic piece when I asked him to make this one, but that's probably not what you are looking for.)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the detailed review, Dave! This is very helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts