Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been discussed but after searching the threads I didn't see anything on this subject specifically.
I wanted to ask if any of the players have tried these new Rigotti Gold reeds for Tenor sax called Jazz Force 3. I've
been frustrated with reeds as much as most players I know. If I finally settle on a type of reed and brand, there are
constant inconsistencies as quality varies tremendously from reed to reed and box to box. The kind of reeds that speak
and play the way I like are rare. I might find one or two in a box of 10 and sometimes none.
I like Rigotti 3 light and 3 medium for the most part they are decent reeds and a good one really plays nice but they don't
last too long and I don't feel like shelling out another $20 per box to bring the cost of one tenor reed up to $5 per reed!
Insane when I think back to tenth grade and reeds were about 60-70 cents a piece or 7 - 10 bucks a box.
If anyone has tried them and found the Jazz Force 3 reeds to be noticeably superior to the regular Rigotti I'd like to know.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Is that actually a new reed cut from Rigotti or just a bad translation of the word "strength" from French to "force" in English? When I look these up I get the impression that the box contains Qty. 10 #3 Rigotti Gold Jazz reeds.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
<snip>
I've been frustrated with reeds as much as most players I know. If I finally settle on a type of reed and brand, there are
constant inconsistencies as quality varies tremendously from reed to reed and box to box. The kind of reeds that speak
and play the way I like are rare. I might find one or two in a box of 10 and sometimes none.
</snip>
Learn to adjust reeds (it's easy) and you will get 8-10 out of a box of 10 to play well. I've never found a Rigotti reed that didn't play well. I don't mean to be snarky, but it's part of being a reed player. I was taught to work on reeds as a student, and I just don't understand why so many sax players expect (unreasonably in my opinion) that reeds will work straight out of the box.

I agree with KeithL that "force" is a bad translation of "strength", and that you are referring to Rigotti Jazz reeds. "Force 3" means strength 3.

·
Registered
977 Posts
In my experience they have too much "buzz", and a bright sound. Other thing that i have noticed is that they soon get bland, or lighter. I ended trying 4( light medium and hard )strength and was shocked when i discovered they were not really hard. Still had the same buzz and didn't last. I have played them on a ny meyer 5 alto mouthpiece.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I like them. They seem to play similar to rico royals and rico orange box. They lean slightly toward bright and buzzy which is good for what I'm after on large round chamber medium to low baffle mouthpieces.

If you play a steroidal mouthpiece I could see how they could be thin and shrill. Bottom line is everybody is different.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
Is that actually a new reed cut from Rigotti or just a bad translation of the word "strength" from French to "force" in English?
Exactly. Force (French) = Strength (English). There is no "new" Force cut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts