Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering whether silverplating one of my altos is a good idea or not in order to stave off corrosion (espec. around some of the tone-holes). Has anyone done this to a Martin, and if so, are you happy with the results? Did the soft-soldered tone holes pose any special risks for the silverplating process? Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
this is something I'd like to get done to my bari when I have the cash, so let me know how it goes for you if you do it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Since Martins have notsogoodlacquer, I try to stay with plated ones so mine are plated from the factory. I have seen photos on saxpics of later Martins in silver and they really look great with the heavy engraving. If you are considering a plate job, I would call Anderson Plating in Elkhart IN and have a talk as they are the best. Remember that it needs to be unlacquered, prepped, springs removed, etc. Go for it but it will end up costing you close to $1K with the repad and all. I have been looking for a nice 50s alto to do in silver but I have one coming in next week with OK lacquer so it may wait for the silvering.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bruce bailey said:
Since Martins have notsogoodlacquer, I try to stay with plated ones so mine are plated from the factory. I have seen photos on saxpics of later Martins in silver and they really look great with the heavy engraving. If you are considering a plate job, I would call Anderson Plating in Elkhart IN and have a talk as they are the best. Remember that it needs to be unlacquered, prepped, springs removed, etc. Go for it but it will end up costing you close to $1K with the repad and all. I have been looking for a nice 50s alto to do in silver but I have one coming in next week with OK lacquer so it may wait for the silvering.
Thanks for that recommendation, Bruce - and Martin, I will let you know if I decide to go through with it. I think Sarge at worldwidesax sends his horns to Anderson Silver Plating, if I remember right. If I wasn't so skittish about shipping my horns, I'd probably jump on it. Anyone out there happen to know of a decent silver-plating outfit in the NYC area? (And sorry if that sounds clueless).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
I have had one gold plated in the past, an exceptional job and not at all cheap. Soundwise it sounded better as to whether this was the gold plating or the fresh pad job, I don't quite recall or perhaps it was a combination of both.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
If you don't like to ship your horn, find a cheap flight to Chicago and rent a car and drive to Elkhart, about 80 miles east.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bruce bailey said:
If you don't like to ship your horn, find a cheap flight to Chicago and rent a car and drive to Elkhart, about 80 miles east.
Hey, now there's an idea... :angel4:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bruce bailey said:
Also WWBW is in South Bend about 12 miles west of Elkhart.
I know, here's one New Yorker with serious Midwest envy -- Anderson's, Tenor Madness, Junkdude, WWBW -- the list seems to go on and on. Next time I take a road-trip cross country, I'll have more than a few places to stop...

63 Posts
pc1234 said:
I'm wondering whether silverplating one of my altos is a good idea or not in order to stave off corrosion (espec. around some of the tone-holes). QUOTE]

Is corrosion a serious issue? I love the way horns look when they're red and orange and have no laquer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
most sax plating gets done through anderson, and you would want a tech to dissassemble it, check the toenhole solders, probably chemical strip it reduce the buffing that it will need and send it to them. then they wills end it back to the tech who will then overhaul the horn.

you should be able to find someone in nyc that can do this for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts