Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like the Axos tenor is out in the wild. Anyone played yet? I'm curious about the sonic profile --dark/bright etc. the decision to use smaller resonators has me curious....

Thanks in advance for any impressions....

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Seamus Blake had a few comments about it having issues with different timbres in each octave and the octave below sounding when playing high F. From what I've read and heard, it's only getting good reviews from licensed Selmer dealers.

I'll say this, though: Making the parts in Paris and shipping them to Taiwan to be assembled means that the assembly will most likely be better than what Selmer has produced in the past 40-50 years. The finishing of parts and assembly have not been good.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interesting re Seamus. thanks Jared. I am curious for exactly the reason you stated: the assembly and regulation on the Taiwan horns is light years better than Selmer Paris. this could be a decent horn! (keeping an open mind, at any rate....)

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
interesting re Seamus. thanks Jared. I am curious for exactly the reason you stated: the assembly and regulation on the Taiwan horns is light years better than Selmer Paris. this could be a decent horn! (keeping an open mind, at any rate....)
It would be ironic indeed if the foreign assembly of the Axos, which at first caused Selmer so much anxiety that the company had to create a whole new subbrand to ward off any "taint," turned out to be a major selling point. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Body tube and bore of a Selmer Serie II , Keywork and neck of a Serie III . Has anyone played one of these ? Seems like a decent tenor considering the price .

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
please search the forum before starting a new thread. the Axos tenor has been discussed in many other threads already. this one asks the exact same question you are asking:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have no doubt that Mark VI horns are fabulous , but every time Selmer introduces a new product , the reviews from players are usually negative when compared to a Mark VI . Could Bill Russell play in today's NBA ? Surely , but would he be able to stop a Shaquille O'Neal ? Probably not . When will old heads stop comparing the past to present ? I'm sure no one wants to go back to the days of staying at home waiting for a phone call on your rotary phone . Mark VII came out , rejection . Super Action 80 , rejection . Serie II , rejection . Serie III , rejection . So on and so forth . Like the previous models , the Axos tenor will gain a reputable spot in Selmer's line up . Once the buzz hits , I can assure you this $3500 horn will skyrocket in price and hover around the $5,000 range while the other modern Selmer's continue to climb near the $8,000 mark . My suggestion : If one doesn't grab an Axos tenor now . . . Don't cry when prices increase to an unaffordable amount .

·
Registered
24 Posts
please search the forum before starting a new thread. the Axos tenor has been discussed in many other threads already. this one asks the exact same question you are asking:
That seems to be this very thread

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,929 Posts
It would be ironic indeed if the foreign assembly of the Axos, which at first caused Selmer so much anxiety that the company had to create a whole new subbrand to ward off any "taint," turned out to be a major selling point. :)
It would not work that way for me. There's not much I like about the eastern horns (non-Japanese). I own two of them and they should not be mentioned in the same breath as Selmer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts