Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Did Donald Trump invent this? Elon Musk perhaps?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,495 Posts
well, all it is is a slit is a faceshild and the problem isn’t really solved. since you will be emitting an aerosol through the horn.

You can buy a face shield at less than that (or make one yourself) and put a slit in it and get a better result

you can buy a packet of 10 for less than 1/3rd of this price

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Milandro and Phil, I just happened upon this as I was looking at Rovner ligatures online and apparently, it is legitimately a Rovner product. The shied itself is a heavy clear vinyl with an aperture. I’m very skeptical of snake oil products but this seems halfway reasonable to me.

·
39,495 Posts
sorry but I don’t understand what this does, it doesn’t protect people and it does’t protect you, but again, if you think this is a good idea, you can make your own (10 for less than $8)

The only function of a face shield is to prevent someone spitting in your face, it doesn’t protect you if you are in an environment filled with aerosol , nor, by its own nature, will protect anyone from you since you are breathing out through a saxophone (or breathing aerosol which will fill a space anyway in time).

At that point, distance (over 2m) and ventilation will be the best protection.

My wife uses a face shield everyday but unlike some of her less wise colleagues she wears a medical mask under that because that is what really protects you and others, the shield creates a small amount of protection which distance creates too.

read here why a face shiled offer limited protection

see here

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,063 Posts
Halfway reasonable is what makes a mint for snake oil salesmen. Their medical products are likely to get them sued. In the least responsible musicians should boycot their entire line. This is more of the quasi crap fiction that gets passed off for science these days. This is useless garbage and dangerous. It is the sort of thing that should be regulated and forced from the market. It poses a treat to society. It also proves that the people at Rovner are either fools or that they are complicit when it comes to endangering the community in the name of profit.

·
39,495 Posts

Aerosols and droplets travel furthest when coughing or sneezing, but we still produce them when singing, speaking or even just breathing (Credit: Bayerischer Rundfunk)

·
13,063 Posts
Bottom line is that if you are in a room with people with covid the air is full of covid. Anything that gives a false sense of security and alters your decision making process can be easily viewed as a participant in the consequences of your choice. Id bet a good attorney would have kept Rovner from taking this product to market. I bet they never asked.

I also bet that they fail to realize that they just blindly entered the medical equipment market. This is not a musical item. It is a piece of medical equipment that is likely untested. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that slippery slope.

Marketing snake oil in the face of 2.5 million deaths is in poor taste. I didnt care for Rover products before. Now, I dislike the company and consider it a blight on society.

·
39,495 Posts
they have it on their site

hey also have a video ( where you can clearly see this is a simple ordinary faceshield with an H shaped slit cut in it (hardly an great technological contribution)

I really don’t see the reason to find it any better then a DIY job, again, the problems aren’t addressed at all by any of these

Watch this on what to expect fro aerosol spreading

·
Registered
732 Posts
The trombone section behind you will be laughing their asses off has they point their bells onto the backside of your head and that shield catches everything redirecting it to your face.

And I'm laughing too, but from a distance

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[QUOTE="Sigmund451, post: 4268626, member: 11934"

I also bet that they fail to realize that they just blindly entered the medical equipment market. This is not a musical item.[/QUOTE]

And this is precisely what is bothering me about this.

·
39,495 Posts
except that every tonehole releases air at a pressure higher than at the low end , saxophones are no trumpets.

Besides, what protects the player?

Reactions: JoAnnPeeler

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,476 Posts
well, all it is is a slit is a faceshild and the problem isn’t really solved. since you will be emitting an aerosol through the horn.
It wasn't designed to protect others. It's designed to protect the user:
  • Offers a barrier against large droplets, making it a tool that can allow players the freedom to continue to play music in certain settings that may previously have felt impossible.
Our biggest local music venue, which opened for a short bit before closing again before the Winter, erected shields between the stage and audience. Not that I'm a fan of this device, but if used in conjunction with such shielding, you'd have to figure it's better than nothing. I suppose you'd have to shield bandmates as well. But hey... I'm not a fan and I wouldn't want one, though I'm sure it will appeal to others.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm pretty sure a face shield, as well as a sax DO slow down and even block a big percentage of droplets flying out of you or towards you. Maybe less so for smaller aerosol-like droplets, but still. The thing does look stupid but I would be much more comfortable sitting in the front row if the players wore that.

A visor is not something to rely on or trust as a singular means of protection, but saying it does not provide an additional layer of protection sounds just plain BS. The medical personnel here doing COVID testing use both a regular visor and a mask, surely they wouldn't do visors if they weren't somewhat effective. And a visor being medically certified does not change the physics...

I think it's reasonable to assume high speed flying droplets are more likely to originate from the corners of the mouth than from lower parts of the sax. I don't think the toneholes are able to shoot droplets very far as the airspeed is lower down the conical tube. Bari even more so as the crook is very good at catching moisture. Very small droplets ("aerosols"?), I believe, behave slightly differently in the air and may go against intuition, compared to bigger blobs.

I would even guess a visor gives best protection from big droplets whereas a mask hopefully blocks the remaining aerosols, and that's why it's advisable to use both if at all possible.

As a side note, during all of the pandemic, I have been ONCE in a non-private bar event (live music yay! real beer from tap yay!), about three weeks ago. Unluckily enough that particular event ended up on the news due to the huge amount (percentage-wise, of the attendants) of cases tracked to that time and place. Luckily enough it appears that the mask (not visor) I wore when getting drinks or otherwise out of our table, appears to have helped as I tested negative.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The medical personnel here doing COVID testing use both a regular visor and a mask, surely they wouldn't do visors if they weren't somewhat effective.
Well, yes, but you also wouldn't drop a phone with anti splash protection into a pool. It's all about context, medical context is different from musical context.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well, yes, but you also wouldn't drop a phone with anti splash protection into a pool. It's all about context, medical context is different from musical context.
True. I'm not sure what you are trying to say with that though, if anything. You might need to explain like I'm 5. Mask is better than visor. Mask and sax don't go together. Anything is better than nothing. Hence, visor good. Staying at home best.

·
13,063 Posts
Raindog, you prove my point. You would be mire comfortable in the first row, The virus doesn’t care about your comfort. It is simply looking for a home. Science says you are not safer even if you do feel safer. So this device, in fact, leads people to take unnecessary risks due to its failure to truly deliver.

People felt safe when they put filters on cigarettes. Does that make smoking a good idea?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts