Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sax.mpostma.nl/

Just stumbled across a 6-year old thread over at CafeSaxophone. I find this endeavor compelling.

click on "mouthpieces", then "my mouthpieces" in sidebar

Has anyone ever tried one ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,798 Posts
I have heard about them, he started many years ago making them ( I’ve quoted this site numerous times when speaking about weltklang baritones).

He also writes quite a bit on matters of very contentious nature :whistle: concerning acoustics

·
38,798 Posts
by the way I kew we had spoken about those before

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?178479-Unusual-Mouthpiece-Design-by-Marten-Postma

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...inting-a-MPC&p=1750451&viewfull=1#post1750451

the maker is a member here

his site has been around for many years and originally was only in Dutch, I’ve quoted it many times

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ate-fingerings&p=841135&viewfull=1#post841135

especially when it came to his Weltklang baritone tuning modifications.

In fact Mr. Postma is a member of SOTW himself I think and has contributed 2 posts until now this is one

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...nsions-was-it-Nederveen&p=1738254#post1738254

and this is his profile

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?69051-marten-postma

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,002 Posts
I bought tenor and baritone mouthpieces from Marten back in 2012. He was great to deal with, let me have the mouthpieces on trial and adjusted the baritone piece after I gave him some feedback on how it was to play.

A few points that Marten told me in emails:

my mouthpieces do have a wider chamber than the OttoLinks.

he tenor has a lay of 2.5/28/11 (in millimetres)
the baritone has a lay of 2.85/33/12 (in millimetres)
which - in my opinion - make them do well with a 3 or 3+ reed. Both lays are quite long, which make them easier in the low register, but some people find it harder for just intonation.
Both could be opened up a little more, if need be. Character of the lay could be amended too - you try and find out. If you find them too dark or too bright, slight changes in the tip angle can make all the difference.
Shortening a lay is a nasty job to execute - in that case I would prefer to start all over in a new piece.

The tenor has two ligatures, which work the same, but sound a little bit different. The baritone has the brighter sounding one only.

Both mpcs are equipped with a loose piece of vaulting which can be fitted with some artificial wax (included). As said. I myself don't use these pieces anymore and consequently lost interest in amending them. I do think they're capable of improvement as the idea is essentially not bad: to keep the wideness of the chamber behind the reed, which is good for intonation, yet add compression to the heart of the reed, which brightens up sonority.

Feel free to experiment with them - a shift in placement already makes a world of difference.

After my trial period I gave him some feedback as follows:
  • I think that your ligature design works really well; maybe a little difficult to put it in place at first, but I have become used to that and it does the job of holding the reed firmly. On the tenor piece I slightly prefer the ligature with the metal rails, but the difference is only slight.
  • On both mouthpieces I have experimented with and without the vaulting that you supplied. I prefer the sound with the vaulting in place on both pieces - I think that I sound more like myself ! And maybe the sound is a bit distant or muffled when there is no vaulting in place.
  • On both mouthpieces the facings are very good and they play with little resistance. I have had to increase the reed strength a bit from what I use on other mouthpieces.
  • The tenor piece plays really well from bottom to top of the horn and I think that I would like to buy it. the bore size is slightly larger than most of my other mouthpieces, so I have been using some PTFE tape on the cork, but may get the neck cork replaced.
  • The baritone piece plays absolutely beautifully at the bottom of the saxophone, giving the biggest and richest sound I have ever got. However in the second octave it becomes hard for me to control, as the resistance seems to drop away almost to nothing. Do you think that this is because of the long lay and could that be adjusted to make the resistance greater at the top of the sax range ? I have tried with different reed strengths, but that does not seem to make the resistance more constant through the range.

Following that feedback, Marten adjusted the facing on the baritone piece and it became much more even top-to-bottom.

I really like the mouthpieces, which offer something different in terms of sound.

Rhys

·
17,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
17,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought tenor and baritone mouthpieces from Marten back in 2012. He was great to deal with, let me have the mouthpieces on trial and adjusted the baritone piece after I gave him some feedback on how it was to play.

A few points that Marten told me in emails.....

....Following that feedback, Marten adjusted the facing on the baritone piece and it became much more even top-to-bottom.

I really like the mouthpieces, which offer something different in terms of sound.

Rhys
Yes Rhys it was, of course, YOUR thread at the Cafe which popped up again this week after a long slumber.

I am always for innovators, and these seem very interesting.

Do you use them regularly ?

Can you describe, or perhaps even post a soundclip, of how they sound different from a conventional mouthpiece ?

Also (besides learning to put on the lig) was there any other aspect of these which required a 'learning curve' for the player ?

·
38,798 Posts
Thanks...of course, when I tried the top-notch SOTW search engine for 'Postma', none of those threads appeared:dazed:
Bear with me please, this is not a rebuff.

I tried the same thing, and the search engine works fine, just not the one located on the top side of any page but the one here
center page top

https://www.saxontheweb.net

here the word Postma returns 179 hits.( can’t give you the link because it disappears after creation but I send you a screen shot)

View attachment 219166

·
17,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bear with me please, this is not a rebuff.

I tried the same thing, and the search engine works fine, just not the one located on the top side of any page but the one here
center page top

https://www.saxontheweb.net

here the word Postma returns 179 hits.( can’t give you the link because it disappears after creation but I send you a screen shot)

View attachment 219166
I actually never saw that one on that page before, I just use the one in the upper right on the forum, here....which returns 13 pretty useless threads.

Odd that the forum engine and the main page (which I never go to, really) engine are not the same engine, producing identical results, IMHO.....

Thanks, now I know which page to search from....

·
38,798 Posts
that one works perfectly (it says Google Custom Search and that’s why it does).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
that one works perfectly (it says Google Custom Search and that’s why it does).
So, maybe one of the admins can suggest this be the search engine for all searches on SOTW.

·
38,798 Posts
I think that that’s been attempted by Pete Thomas, I for my part, have been saying this for several years

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,002 Posts
Yes Rhys it was, of course, YOUR thread at the Cafe which popped up again this week after a long slumber.

I am always for innovators, and these seem very interesting.

Do you use them regularly ?

Can you describe, or perhaps even post a soundclip, of how they sound different from a conventional mouthpiece ?

Also (besides learning to put on the lig) was there any other aspect of these which required a 'learning curve' for the player ?
I don't play them regularly but I just got the baritone piece out of a drawer and had a blow on it, firstly with the "Vaulting" (removable baffle) in place and then without.

It had to go along way beyond the neck cork on my Selmer baritone to play in tune and I had to adjust the tuning point a bit when I took the Vaulting out. There were no adjustments to make when playing it, but I would say that the fixing of the reed is a bit less simple and secure than on usual Lawton metal 8* mouthpiece with its slide-on ligature. Nothing to worry about and I'm sure I would get used to it.

The sound seems nice and rich from the player's perspective and then perhaps a bit more "hollow" when I removed the Vaulting. The facing makes it a nice easy blow, but I think that I am more happy with the sound in the lower octave than up high, especially without the Vaulting. I think maybe I should experiment with slightly harder reeds.

Although the Marten Postma mouthpiece seemed to be rich and loud from the player's perspective, it was noticeably quieter than my Lawton when I tried to record them in turn.

I wouldn't say they sound hugely different from a conventional mouthpiece, but I think that depends on how Marten finishes it in terms of the facing, the tip angle etc. It is an interesting approach and a fun thing to have.

Rhys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts