Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
No.
I actually like the Xaphoon for noodeling in ethnic-ninja-style. Not so much for Mozart concerto or Donna Lee .....
This pocket sax should be called a pocket clarinet. The Kalimba looks nice!

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Heard the demo. I'll pass, for a host of reasons. Might be effective for annoying the cat or scaring birds off of your lawn. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm a little skeptical of anything the seller insists will bring me joy.

That being said, these actually don't sound all that bad for what they are. I'm a sucker for sax-related novelties, so I might end up picking up one of these at some point. It can't possibly be more annoying than my saxophone kazoo. :)

·
Registered
821 Posts
YES, i did buy one, and it did NOT come with a fingering chart (same exact model, different site). After many, many emails with the seller, they couldn't find the correct chart (kept sending me one for another type with different fingering holes).

Have not bothered to sit and figure it out yet, but sounds pretty good for a 'toy' for noodling around.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Back in the late seventies, I used to sit in Brian's shop in Lahaina and demo his finished Xaphoons while he sat at his torch and made more. He eventually rewarded me with a free Xaphoon to keep. Since I was already a recorder player and about 90% improv sax player, the Xaphoon was perfect for my needs. They are actually an acoustical marvel, considering the vagaries of the materials, and that he eyeballed each and every one while burning the fingering holes in it. He was one of the happiest, most charming people I ever knew. It was the first handmade wind instrument I ever found that could be played in tune with a bit of "English on it."

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Pocket sax - $24 from china, that I got out of curiosity. it is NOT NEARLY a Xaphoon. The Xaphhon is an acoustically sound
basic instrument with a decent sound that can come close to a sax. This is a poor copy, which has a horrendous, kazoo like tone. It is
totally useless as a musical instrument, and a new years Eve noisemaker has a better sound. I use it to prop a window open on cooler days....
I hate I wasted my money, and should have saved my money for a Xaphoon, or at least a Yamaha recorder.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm a little skeptical of anything the seller insists will bring me joy.

That being said, these actually don't sound all that bad for what they are. I'm a sucker for sax-related novelties, so I might end up picking up one of these at some point. It can't possibly be more annoying than my saxophone kazoo. :)
I had a Zaphoon Pocket Sax when I was first starting out on the sax. It actually had a cool sound to it. I ended up selling it, as I needed the money and with my saxes, guitars, V-Drums, keyboard...I just don't have the time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts