Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you? If so what?

I'm currently doing the Boutry Divertimento and I'd appreciate any tips anyone may have.

Other pieces I have in mind are Scaramouche and Binge Concerto, just for starters!

If anyone does have any arrangements they fancy sharing let me know!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,010 Posts
I believe the Boutry and the Milhaud have already been done. Not sure of the availability, but i heard the US Army Band play these in the early 1980's.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting! I wonder if anyone has played any of these.

I know the Milhaud has been done with wind octet and that it is widely avaliable.

Just want to hear advice thoughts etc!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm sure I heard that Joe Kreines arranged the Glazunov for Sax and Band. Even if it wasn't him that did it, there is a recording by Sugawa of the Glazunov with band.

Eric Coates' Saxo-Rhap (one of my absolute favorite pieces!) has a band arrangement.

The Milhaud was mentioned as an octet, there's also an arrangement floating out there with woodwind quartet and sax,you can hear it played by Londiex on classicsax radio.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm not sure if you're aware, but there're several great original concertos for saxophone and band. The Creston Concerto (which was written with either band or orchestral accompaniement) and David Kechley's "Restless Birds Before the Dark Storm" come to mind. You can check the Londeix book for more.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know there are some great pieces with band, but they are very expensive to buy!

I thought I'd have a go at arrangement, its going to be a great learning curve and give me (hopefully, depending on the bands agreement) a good shot at having more solo playing.

Just could have saved me some time if someone had an arrangement up their sleeve!

I'll keep people posted!

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
mkemp said:
I'm sure I heard that Joe Kreines arranged the Glazunov for Sax and Band. Even if it wasn't him that did it, there is a recording by Sugawa of the Glazunov with band.

Eric Coates' Saxo-Rhap (one of my absolute favorite pieces!) has a band arrangement.

The Milhaud was mentioned as an octet, there's also an arrangement floating out there with woodwind quartet and sax,you can hear it played by Londiex on classicsax radio.

Way back in my college days, I played an arrangement of the Milhaud Scaramouche with Woodwind Quintet.

The West Point Band has an arrangement of the Glazounov, done by one of its members for soloist and Woodwind Choir (we don't need no stinkin' brass).

I heard it performed by one of my students 9 years ago as he was a winner of their "Young Artists" concerto competition, and actually have a recording of that performance. I think it's a very nice arrangement.

Steve

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm working on a Scaramouche currently, but only have the Vif movement completed - but for a very specific instrumentation - no flutes, no double reeds, limited brass.

I also am in the middle of arranging Concierto de Aranjuez for alto sax and trumpet with band accompianment - it's kicking my tail, but it's fun!!!

dv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts