Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
Joined
·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious 'cause it seemed for awhile everyone was talking about these horns. Lately, not much action. Not even used sales in the marketplace. So has the thrill of these horns died out or what? I've never tried or even seen one before. Maybe all this talk of newer Asian makes is drowning out the Italians?

Thoughts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Nope ... those of us who are so fortunate to have one, are too busy playing them to write much ... and too happy to sell them !

Cheers !
W.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
Joined
·
4,370 Posts
The prices have gone up some, so maybe everyone's buying and talking about PM's instead?;)
 

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
Joined
·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe Jazz said:
The prices have gone up some, so maybe everyone's buying and talking about PM's instead?;)
They've stayed fairly priced with Yani's and Yami's. At least with the silver plated horns. Still less than Selmer and JK. Certainly have not gone up as fast as the PM's. Maybe they need some of that marketing hype mojo we all know and love :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
I've been wanting to try and maybe buy one, but in the US there's just one authorized dealer and he doesn't allow for returns. I think the silver with gold keys/bell horn is beautiful and I the description of its sound makes me wanna buy it. But close to $5,000 is a bit much to shell out for something one can't try before buying.

I bet you that if they'd be more easily available so people could try them they'd sell more of them...
 

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
Joined
·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mattiasNYC said:
I've been wanting to try and maybe buy one, but in the US there's just one authorized dealer and he doesn't allow for returns. I think the silver with gold keys/bell horn is beautiful and I the description of its sound makes me wanna buy it. But close to $5,000 is a bit much to shell out for something one can't try before buying.

I bet you that if they'd be more easily available so people could try them they'd sell more of them...
Saxforte and Tenor Madness are now both dealers (maybe there's others). While Saxforte is no returns, I think with Tenor Madness you can return for credit towards another sax.

I agree it's a big chuck of change to lay out for something sight unseen. I don't know if these horns are worth looking into for myself, but if there was more buyers, I might take a chance.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Joined
·
33,590 Posts
tjontheroad said:
... but if there was more buyers, I might take a chance.
You've got a III, why are you looking? What is it you need?

Maybe you could help compile the list tho'...

Fad Horn of the Year

2007 - P. Mauriat, Cannonball Stone?
2006 - Rampone?
2005 - Cannonball Global Big Bell?
2004 - Steve Goodson?
2003 - Selmer Reference?

Feel free to move, mix, and match. I think it could be interesting.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
Joined
·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dr G said:
You've got a III, why are you looking? What is it you need?
I need medication, but that's for another thread :D

I'm always looking. Nothing wrong with that. Really I was just curious as to what happened to all the love for these Italian beasts.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
Joined
·
866 Posts
Happy R1 owner

I bought myself a curved soprano (silver R1) in April, and am as happy as can be. Got it through Saxforte. The sound is beautiful and sweet: a few complaints about ergonomics, but slight modifications will make it perfect.

As for price: if you buy the same horn in Europe, you pay the same tag, but in Euros, so the price in the USA is still a very good deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
tjontheroad said:
Saxforte and Tenor Madness are now both dealers (maybe there's others). While Saxforte is no returns, I think with Tenor Madness you can return for credit towards another sax.

I agree it's a big chuck of change to lay out for something sight unseen. I don't know if these horns are worth looking into for myself, but if there was more buyers, I might take a chance.
From what I know, saxforte is the US Distributor not just a dealer and Tenor Madness only has used ones.
 

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,665 Posts
I am with Wmclean here - having been busy playing a silver-plated curved R1 sop since late June. I got it straight from RC company and had to pay a PAINFUL sum of Indonesian tax for it. But all of that pain disappears everytime I blow that baby!

The undetachable neck is a convenient; the keywork is smooth and modern; the build is rock-solid; the look is elegant (a bit glorious); but the sound is just AMAZING (dark, full, round, smokey). In the low register, it can be mistaken for an alto. And in the upper and altissimo, the sound is still thick and rich - not thin like some other sops.

Well, since the RC came to this Papa, my Yami YSS-62 has been sitting in its case. Maybe, I should not make her feel abandoned by taking her to a church gig this Sunday;-)

This horn was the demo curvy at RC's headquarter showroom in Quarna, Italy, before it became mine. And I just saw someone is selling his curvy, which was the demo at the IEAJ Show in 2005.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
Joined
·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sierra said:
Right....Tenor Madness is a "dealer", saxforte us the US Distributor.

Since Tenor Madness accepts returns...how can we be sure that his horns are "new" ?
Agreed, you can't be sure it's new. But you can be sure you're not stuck if you buy without trying first and don't like it. SC is a beautiful state. However, since my golf game isn't what it use to be, I for one am in no hurry for a road trip to SC for just a saxquest :D

Anyway, I guess this is the biggest reason for not any "just got mine" replies in this thread.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
Joined
·
7,216 Posts
TJ,I don't know what R&C sax you are interested in but fwiw I got a R&C R1 Jazz vintage silver plate straight sop last year from Saxforte. I agree with Yellowhornblowers' assessment.Its tone is dark,the horn is very heavy,has Pisoni med. pads,fluid action.I have read criticisms of R&C's action being spongy,I don't find it so.It does not play with that nasal quality characteristic of other brands.It has a powerful sound for a sop.It comes setup inc.,packing is excellent.,no interchangeable necks.I believe it still retails for $2600.For a handmade modern horn it is very impressive.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
Joined
·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
saxphil said:
TJ,I don't know what R&C sax you are interested in but fwiw I got a R&C R1 Jazz vintage silver plate straight sop last year from Saxforte. I agree with Yellowhornblowers' assessment.Its tone is dark,the horn is very heavy,has Pisoni med. pads,fluid action.I have read criticisms of R&C's action being spongy,I don't find it so.It does not play with that nasal quality characteristic of other brands.It has a powerful sound for a sop.It comes setup inc.,packing is excellent.,no interchangeable necks.I believe it still retails for $2600.For a handmade modern horn it is very impressive.
I guess what started me thinking and posting this thread was looking at the saxello mentioned before. I sold off all my sops and my 'nino except my SC-992 (that's staying put). I thought over time I might want to get other. I'm not looking to scratch that itch right away though :scratch:
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
Joined
·
7,216 Posts
tjontheroad said:
I guess what started me thinking and posting this thread was looking at the saxello mentioned before. I sold off all my sops and my 'nino except my SC-992 (that's staying put). I thought over time I might want to get other. I'm not looking to scratch that itch right away though :scratch:
Modern sops don't come cheaply.I expected they would sell for less because they are smaller,not so.It's hard to fork it over especially if your also interested in the other horns.Some strike a compromise on sop and settle for for brands that sell cheaper for that reason and infrequent play perhaps in comparison to their other horns.
Still the R&C's are competitively priced,at least for a straight one in vintage silver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Nagging itches ...

tjontheroad said:
I guess what started me thinking and posting this thread was looking at the saxello mentioned before. I sold off all my sops and my 'nino except my SC-992 (that's staying put). I thought over time I might want to get other. I'm not looking to scratch that itch right away though :scratch:
Mind you ... I would love to hear a side by side comparison with a R&C Jazz soprano and your SC992. ... You see, I've got a nagging itch on the other side - "just to see" of course ! :smilebox:

W.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top