Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
It takes a real man to admit he has two copies of that CD. I would trust you with my life.

Angel

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,010 Posts
I will donate $7 to the forum if you post a picture of you burning that CD :)

Seriously!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
Must...refrain...oh, who am I kidding? I can't stop at just one!

My question is to why you have even one copy of that CD?

It's called "Moving Along" because that's what you should have done when you saw it in the discount bin at Tower Records.

Is the jewel case made by Selmer?

Why is he laughing on the cover? Was this CD some sort of joke, like a "Weird Al" of classical saxophone?

OK, I'll stop now. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I have one. And just because I'm trying to be a completist.

Angel

·
Registered
471 Posts
hahaha this thread is hilarious XD

So is Harvey Pittel a teacher from the Lunatic Fringe school?

·
7,890 Posts
BlueLight said:
hahaha this thread is hilarious XD

So is Harvey Pittel a teacher from the Lunatic Fringe school?

Draw your own conclusions on the "Lunatic Fringe". That's open to interpretation...and that's all I think needs to be said...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I studied under Harvey Pittel for a number of years. He is one of the greatest teachers of sound production on the saxophone and an amazing musican in my opinion. You all would be suprised at what heavy musicians in both the jazz and classical world that have seeked him out for his expertise. If anyone here is into my sound, I attribute the knowledge to create it from his teaching. I'm constantly being told on these forums to not take posts seriously, but I hate to see a person who has earned my respect musically many times over be sullied by likes of people who really owe him for his contribution to the classical world and sound production techniques on the saxophone over his lifetime. Especially when I know that NONE of you would be able to play two notes with the eveness of tone quality he is capable of. Maybe instead of berating musicians who have dedicated their life to this instrument you all came here for you should be asking questions or going back to the shed...

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I do agree that it would be great if we could refrain from simply sniping at Harvey. I'm sure that some thoughtful comments/criticisms would be enlightening. Justin sounds great, so Harvey must be doing something right, at least in his teaching, whatever you think of his playing. In any event, this probably should've been posted in the Marketplace in the first place.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,010 Posts
drakesaxprof said:
I do agree that it would be great if we could refrain from simply sniping at Harvey. I'm sure that some thoughtful comments/criticisms would be enlightening. Justin sounds great, so Harvey must be doing something right, at least in his teaching, whatever you think of his playing. In any event, this probably should've been posted in the Marketplace in the first place.

Ok, I will be the first to apologize for my poking at Mr. Pittel. :)

I have never had a lesson with the gentleman, so I don't know what he offers. I am certainly sure he has produced some fine saxophonist over the years. I can think of a few. However, I must remain firm on this CD. It is a document of his playing at one point in time that perhaps does not show him in the best light. Casual listening to this one particular CD will shed light to that fact in both the Dahl and the Creston alone.

I find it interesting in today’s market how saxophone recordings have changed. When Pittel recorded there was not much of a market. You would not find many who could record the literature. And, you could not spends months recording an LP and have it re-engineered. Today we have such a large global market where we can instantly hear excellent music. I think this has caused several to reconsider before releasing a new CD. Are all these new CDs awesome? Not really, but overall I think the output has risen in quality. Perhaps one day we will have a collection as decent as the stings.

It is interesting how many great saxophonists there are out there today who have not recorded yet due to the high visibility and scrutiny of a world public. Many are producing excellent students, are excellent performing artist and caring people but are waiting until they have a perfect recording before they release. The days of “almost got it right” are over.

The very things we discuss on SOTW are influencing the classical saxophone recording industry. No one wants to read about themselves on the internet in a negative way. And, I know many artist are reading what is said here every day.

I would bet a new Harvey Pittel CD would sound much better and with a much higher level of control and expressiveness than his earlier LPs. I look forward to purchasing that CD.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
srcsax said:
It is a document of his playing at one point in time that perhaps does not show him in the best light. Casual listening to this one particular CD will shed light to that fact in both the Dahl and the Creston alone.
The very things we discuss on SOTW are influencing the classical saxophone recording industry. No one wants to read about themselves on the internet in a negative way. And, I know many artist are reading what is said here every day.

I would bet a new Harvey Pittel CD would sound much better and with a much higher level of control and expressiveness than his earlier LPs. I look forward to purchasing that CD.

Good commentary--keep it coming!

·
Registered
30 Posts
srcsax said:
I must remain firm on this CD. It is a document of his playing at one point in time that perhaps does not show him in the best light. Casual listening to this one particular CD will shed light to that fact in both the Dahl and the Creston alone.
Thats a valid opinion. My point, Steve, is that I don't see that point in attacking a player in such a grossly unprofessional manner, (paying $7 for picture of burning CD) be it Pittel, Steve Carmichael, or the kid next door. Especially someone who has earned respect on a level that you seem to not be even aware of. I would defend any of you against such attacks. How many recordings have any of you been on? And of those how many show you in the best light? Would you want people to attack you openly on a forum. I would hope not.

·
7,890 Posts
Justin Vasquez said:
Thats a valid opinion. My point, Steve, is that I don't see that point in attacking a player in such a grossly unprofessional manner, (paying $7 for picture of burning CD) be it Pittel, Steve Carmichael, or the kid next door. Especially someone who has earned respect on a level that you seem to not be even aware of. I would defend any of you against such attacks. How many recordings have any of you been on? And of those how many show you in the best light? Would you want people to attack you openly on a forum. I would hope not.
Honestly, I have had personal issues with him in the past which is why I don't like him. It wouldn't change my view of this CD. This CD is very poor, however, and I don't buy the fact that there weren't a lot of other ones out there...I've been waiting for someone to come in and defend him, and I'm shocked that it took this long.

I'll say this though: I won't talk about him at all anymore, and I've been trying to not say nasty things about other people lately. If you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Upon reading this thread, I checked my itunes collection and noted that I also had a copy of this CD, although I had never played it. One of those things that got imported and forgotten about.

At first, I thought it was ok. Far from great, but not horrendous. Then I get to the Dahl concerto...some parts of that are god awful.

I mean...the guy is out there, people know his name, he's got a reputation, and that is all more than I have. There are samples on that CD that I really do like, but for now...I can't bare to listen to any more of it in one sitting.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts