Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having experimented with a couple of Hartmann Fiberreeds for soprano sax -- a Natural Classic (yay!) & a Hemp (mehhh) -- am thinking of trying other Fiberreeds.

So they're available online as usual at wwbw & music123, or direct from the maker/distributor with the option of exchanging for a different strength, at USD$30 per reed.

OK, now cue the theremin. A search for "harry hartmann" at Amazon turns up several previously unknown third-party sellers offering Fiberreeds at weirdly inflated prices like $49.16 or $81.93 or $139.98.

These third-party sellers tend to have high satisfaction ratings based on a mere handful of boilerplate responses -- sometimes multiple responses from the same customer, or from different customers on the same date. The sellers' virtual storefronts display a mixed bag of unrelated items for sale.

It's all feeling kinda squishy, like when you roll aside a hollow log in the forest & see pale squirmy creatures underneath. What is going on? Should a public-spirited citizen alert Amazon or Hartmann?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,442 Posts
No, but a busy-body might. A normal person would simply move on. Just curious, why is it you think Amazon or Hartmann can control what somebody asks for an item?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hartmann does seem to keep a tight rein on distribution of their products, so it's plausible to imagine they'd want to know if somebody was hijacking their merch or their reputation. And since the victims of any scam involving non-delivery of items sold at inflated price would be fellow reed players, why would one not raise a red flag?

I'm curious to hear what others think.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Amazon is a favorite venue for people selling items at highly inflated prices. I often see this for books still available from publishers but not easily tracked down. Buyer beware.

Does Amazon basically escrow the money for sales from new sellers? I thought I heard that somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts