Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a Harry Pedler and sons sax. The model is American Triumph.

How do I determine the value of this instrument.

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
Sylvester,

First of all welcome to the SOTW forum.

I moved your inquiry to the appropriate forum (from the SOTW SPAM WATCH THREAD to MISC. SAXOPHONE MANUFACTURERS), because it was in the wrong area for such questions, and because it would have received little to no attention there.

English born Harry Pedler made some excellent clarinets when the factory was still in his ownership. However Mr. Pedler retired in 1930, and the Pedler Instrument Company was sold to Martin Band Instrument Company. These horns are marked Harry Pedler Co. Elkhart IN. In 1958, Martin Co. sold the Pedler Co. to Selmer U.S.A. and I believe the name pretty much disappeared, at least the woodwind side of things.

Now Martin is one of my all time favorite Saxophone manufacturers, and those branded as such are top of the line. However when they acquired the Pedler name and factory, they turned the Pedler marked instruments into one of their entry level student product lines. These later Pedler products are not held in very high regard.

If your horn dates to the era of Harry himself, then you might have an interesting piece, if only from a collector's point of view.

I must admit that, although I own a few pre and post Martin takeover Pedler Clarinets, I have never seen or heard of a Pedler Saxophone.

You might have some luck contacting this individual, who collects the Harry Pedler, pre Martin, metal clarinets:

taxijazz at sbcglobal dot net

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,140 Posts
The only Pedler saxes I have seen are similar to a Martin Committee. If your horn has soldered beveled tone holes and both of the bell keys on the left side, I suspect it is one of these.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I'm not sure if and when the quality of Pedler horns began to decline, but the company itself started to fail in the early 1950s, allegedly due to growing competition from imported horns. C.J. Thompson, Vice-President of the Harry Pedler Company, testified to the US Tariff Commission in 1952 that the company had operated at a loss the previous year because they were "'unable to compete with the imported woodwind instruments regardless of our modern machinery and the efficiency of our employees. . . .'" (Charles Vandeveer Reed, "A History of Band Instrument Manufacturing in Elkhart Indiana," 1953).

·
Registered
207 Posts
There’s a Pedler American Triumph alto that went up on eBay today ...
Which led me to finding this thread (from 2007) and the article I posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts