Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,242 Posts
That was fun. He sounds a lot like Getz on this one. Great job Artem!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also love measures 27-32. He navigates the descending 2 beat dominant chords effortlessly.........
Thank you! It seems like instad of using the descending movement of the chords(Bb7 A7/ Ab7 G7/) he uses Bb / G7b9. It sounds cool.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,898 Posts
Thank you! It seems like instad of using the descending movement of the chords(Bb7 A7/ Ab7 G7/) he uses Bb / G7b9. It sounds cool.
I see it as he is using the dim7 based off of the b9 of each chord starting on the A7 which is cool. A7 he is playing Bbo7, Ab7 he is playing Ao7, and G7 he is highlighting Abo7. Cool exercise to practice.........

·
3,555 Posts
Harry is amazing. Nobody has ever come even remotely as close to sounding like Getz as he has, which is good. He plays better JAZZ than just about all of these other young guys who are stuck playing bebop and Brecker cliches, patterns, getting bogged down in complex vertical-harmonic ideas while not even remotely swinging. Harry plays JAZZ. He is an improvisor. I'm just not wild about his tone, it sounds mushy to my ears

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,898 Posts
Harry is amazing. Nobody has ever come even remotely as close to sounding like Getz as he has, which is good. He plays better JAZZ than just about all of these other young guys who are stuck playing bebop and Brecker cliches, patterns, getting bogged down in complex vertical-harmonic ideas while not even remotely swinging. Harry plays JAZZ. He is an improvisor. I'm just not wild about his tone, it sounds mushy to my ears
I've never been crazy about his sound either but to each his own. The timbre of his tenor sound sounds like a bari sax to me.........

·
3,555 Posts
I think he plays old Tone Master and 4**** Otto Links with those super large chambers thats why he gets that tubby sound. Those large chambers worked well for Ben Webster, Gonsalves, Benny Golson and others but they weren't playing stylistically like Getz who was playing medium or small chamber Brilharts or Otto Link slant sig pieces. Getz didn't have any of that sort of tubbiness is his sound.

I've never been crazy about his sound either but to each his own. The timbre of his tenor sound sounds like a bari sax to me.........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
And much to the chagrin of a lot of people, I never really liked Stan Getz's tone. The timbre of his tenor sounds like a clarinet to me. And not even a bass clarinet.

The solo in the OP is a really nice recording, sounds very clear. Where as I have heard a lot of live recordings of Harry and I totally get what you mean.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I heard him live last year, when he played unamplified. I was about 15 feet away, directly in front of him.

His sound was fantastic. it totally filled the room.

the main thing that amazed me was the variety of sounds I was hearing. From a huge, big sound, with a buzz and edge to it. To a whisper. with the widest sub tone you can think of. and everything in between. an incredible variety of tones on offer.

it was also very centered when he wanted it, but more spread when he wanted that. always with a really solid central core.

I like the fact that he sounds different from most other guys. In these days when many complain that everyone sounds the same, I like him for being different.

As for gear, I talked to him about this ( course I did, I am a geek !!), and yes he does play an old otto link. but it has been opened up to ( I think ) a 9.

·
3,555 Posts
Getz had a very long career, and sounded very different from 1947 to 1990 but he always had the incredible feel, swing and energy flow. I'm willing to bet you haven't really listened to his discography. Have you checked out his magnificent early 50s output? His tone was a magnificent aspect of his artistry. Late 70s and on I'm not so crazy about his sound. If feels heavy and forced and he plays great, but his energy flow is only a shadow of what it was when he was a kid in the 50s.

Harry is an oxymoron to me because his energy flow is amazing despite having a tubby and frankly mushy tone. I perceive he would be much better off with a smaller chamber MP like a Brilhart. I get the feeling they dialed in some of the mids-high frequencies on his sax to give his tone some extra needed sizzle.

And much to the chagrin of a lot of people, I never really liked Stan Getz's tone. The timbre of his tenor sounds like a clarinet to me. And not even a bass clarinet.

The solo in the OP is a really nice recording, sounds very clear. Where as I have heard a lot of live recordings of Harry and I totally get what you mean.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Harry is an oxymoron to me because his energy flow is amazing despite having a tubby and frankly mushy tone. I perceive he would be much better off with a smaller chamber MP like a Brilhart. I get the feeling they dialed in some of the mids-high frequencies on his sax to give his tone some extra needed sizzle.
While I agree that Harry has a somewhat tubby tone, I can't imagine why you'd think it's "mushy". Listen to any live vids of his where he's not playing into a mic and I think you'll change your mind. Quite frankly, I'm amazed at how much edge/buzz he gets with those old Master Links he plays. Oh, and I have on first hand knowledge that Harry plays on 'pieces opened up to about .130 with virtually no baffle and very thin rails. Reeds in the 2.5 range and what's basically a double-lip embouchure.

I'd hardly call this mushy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts