Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much are Harrison-Hertz ligatures worth? I know they aren't made anymore. I have a friend who has a few and I am wondering what a fair price is for one that's brand new.

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
I've got one that will fit a metal tenor Link ( marked TO) and I would sell it for $100 plus shipping from the States. I think I have one that fits a Bari sax HR also. I've seen them go for that price. The ones that fit Dukoff alto pieces get a good price because Sanborn uses one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
Common ones for HR Alto and Tenor are $50-75 but a gold one for a Soprano or Metal mpc. will go over $200 at times. That one mentioned above is a steal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ive got two that were purchased new and have only been used a year. They are both silver and will fit clarinet or slimer alto sax mouthpieces. Let me know if anyone is interested in them.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
The one that everyone wants is the one that fits the metal Dukoff alto pieces. These go for quite a bit of money because David Sanborn uses one...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What model fits the dukoff alto? there is a music store in town that has a drawer full of these ligs and they have the old sticker price of $29 on them. I bought two A 2 ligs and am going to go back today to get a third. I want to know if it's a good idea to grab a couple clarinet ligs too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,996 Posts
i think the soprano sax might fit a dukoff alto. lefty i would buy as many as you can afford and sell them here and on the clarinet sneezy.org board. you will make a tidy profit. just dont get 10m greedy

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I will put a couple alto ligs up on ebay, but no one has said what the clarinet ligs are worth. I just need to know so I don't put the reserve price too high.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
Buy all you can get. Also the soprano lig is pretty tight. My H for a Selmer HR is even tight on a Yana piece. I doubt it will fit the Dukoff alto metal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,996 Posts
bruce -harrison ligs come in different sizes for each insterment-example there are like sm med and large for each size sax or clarinet . this makes getting the right size difficult . my sop lig is stamped s2 for soprano med . harrison clar ligs fit runyon custom alto and tenor and are the best lig for them i have found. lefty -i would advertize this when selling the clarinet ligs. last time i checked the harrisons were selling for near100$ on the clarinet site. also morgan excaliber takes clarinet lig-another selling point for the clar ligs. in short-selling them should be easy. i would buy the whole lot!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The two alto A2 ligs sold at $75 each within a couple hours. I have four clarinet ligs up now each starting at $65 with a buy it now price of $89.99. Did I screw the pricing up?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Harrison sizes

Just thought I give a bit of a historic perspective to Harrison ligs. As everyone knows, Bob Harrison died about 12 years ago and his company subsequently no longer produced this great ligature.
I was fortuate enough to speak with his widow, Shirley, an extremely wonderful person. We discussed the sizes produced for saxophone:

For Soprano: There was S1 and S2 for the hard rubber and metal respectively.

For Alto: A1, 2, 3 to accomodate the variation in sizes. A2 bing most popular.

Tenor: T

Dukoff: AD and AD2 for those variations.

David S uses an AD. This he has had for years. This fits his Dukoff well but consider the probable modifications made.

I am one of the people who bought one of Lefty's A2's. Haven't gotten it yet, but if it's anything like the beat-up one I am still using, I will be forever happy. I have a fine thread in one of the screw sockets to keep it tight.

I am one of the buyers who bought Lefty's A2 for 75$ as a Buy Now on Ebay. This was a great price, and I did pay what was asked. I am certain these pieces will bring more in the future. Problem is, they do wear at the bands.

There is a Japanese company: http://search.store.yahoo.co.jp/cgi...shi&catalog=ishibashi&query=harrison ligature. They sell a reproduction of the Harrison. I am not certain of their quality. It would be nice if anyone with experience with this company replies with opinions.

I hope was informative. PhilF

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Phil, your lig is in the mail, it was posted today. expect it around Friday. Thanks for the info.

I asked an employee to search the inventory of the store to see if there are any more harrisons available, he will call me if he finds anything. as far as I know there are only three more clarinet ligs in stock.

The clarinet ligs should fit most streamlined alto mouthpieces, like some of Charles Bay's pieces or streamlined brilharts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks Lefty, will let you know when I get it.

I really m holding out for an Harrison AD lig, but we'll se!

Good luck with the C's. MHO: I would just advertise them for Clarinet, then if someone bought one, let them do the size-testing on their sax mpcs. If you start mentioning possibilities, there will definetly be some return C's...to you; again MHO.
Phil

·
Registered
894 Posts
My Wife bought me a Gold Harrison Ligature for my birthday last year which was original owned by David Sanborn, it came with his signature (I wasnt sure it was genuine so I contacted his PA and she confirmed it was indeed David's), its the model that fits the Dukoff (which I also have) only problem is because the Dukoff is a small mouthpiece the ligature won't fit most standard mouthpieces and I really can't get on with the Dukoff.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts