Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harold Land Quintet 1959 ~ The Fox

If you play tenor saxophone and do not know who Harold is- FIND OUT ASAP!!!
HE IS NOT ONLY A MAJOR VOICE- But a great alternative to Trane n' Newk.

Bobby Hutcherson - Slow Change [Now!] 1969

Home Cookin' - Bobby Hutcherson Ummh

EVERY ERA- Harold was a part of....he was in the front line as a creative leader.

ALSO- Take a listen to the rhythm sections on ALL THESE- There's a lesson there too. You can't play or add to a groove if your not inside the band mentally. Do you know the difference sonically between Elmo Hope and McCoy? Or lets say Hal Galper and George Cables? Get my idea :)

ENJOY ~

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have been trying to transcribe Harold Land playing Born To Be Blue. It is on the Steve Grossman record. Harold Land's sound is very appealing to my concept.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Harold is one of those players that people just have NO IDEA how tremendous he was. Yeah, that's him hangin with Clifford Brown and Max Roach.

I got him to sign my copy of "The Fox" 20 years ago when he was playing with the Timeless All Stars - and JJ Johnson was still crushin the back wall of the room - off mic.

Harold was sweet and gracious. But man, he could play. And play.

"In the Land of Jazz" is a good record too. Don't miss out on Harold Land.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Harold Land was IT! I just played some Harold to my Improvisation class yesterday, what a pleasure to see this thread going, thanks Tim.

His sound was HUGE, beautiful lines, great time, a perfect 'compliment' to Clifford on those recordings. 'In the Land of Jazz' is a tremendous recording!

thanks all, DC

·
Registered
724 Posts
So glad this thread popped back up after so many years (thanks jd). Was just checking Land on Hampton Hawes' "For Real!"...Harold had it so together on this '58 date w/ LaFaro & Frank Butler.

·
Registered
~1927 Buescher TT alto, Jupiter Carnegie tenor
66 Posts
Oh yeah, I love his playing so much, and I'm glad to see this show up in my feed. His album with Red Mitchell, "Hear Ye!" from 1961, used to get a lot of play in my house...and now it's going to do so again.

E.g., "Rosie's Spirit":

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
I'll participate in a resuscitated Harold Land thread, for sure.

Love his playing, got to meet him in SF once; as one might have expected, he was a very polite and friendly fellow.

Beyond his own recordings, the stuff he did with Blue MItchell is good, too.

Also, gotta say (and I realize I might get strafed for this): I preferred the Clifford Brown group with Harold at the sax as opposed to Sonny (sorry but IMHO they were a more cohesive sounding combo, more synergy there, with Harold).

And...pulling out an obscure group...he was also the Tenor man in The Curtis Counce Group.....that was a really good, West Coast group ! Check them out if you haven't.

...back in the 90's, I actually transcribed a few of his tunes which I really liked, as there were no charts available....

My favorite Harold quote:

In a radio interview....at the close of the interview the interviewer asked "So Harold, any advice for our younger players wanting to pursue a career in Jazz ?"

To which he replied: "Yeah.....become a plumber".

·
Banned
307 Posts
Harold Land Quintet 1959 ~ The Fox

If you play tenor saxophone and do not know who Harold is- FIND OUT ASAP!!!
HE IS NOT ONLY A MAJOR VOICE- But a great alternative to Trane n' Newk.

Bobby Hutcherson - Slow Change [Now!] 1969

Home Cookin' - Bobby Hutcherson Ummh

EVERY ERA- Harold was a part of....he was in the front line as a creative leader.

ALSO- Take a listen to the rhythm sections on ALL THESE- There's a lesson there too. You can't play or add to a groove if your not inside the band mentally. Do you know the difference sonically between Elmo Hope and McCoy? Or lets say Hal Galper and George Cables? Get my idea :)

ENJOY ~
Harold Land is one of those musicians who I never tire of listening to. Such a great sound, and he talks to you when he plays, and tells a story. I miss guys from that era like Harold, Hank Mobley, Gene Ammons, and so many others. They had a thick tone, and when they played, they really said something with each note and inflection. They are still an inspiration after all these years, and perhaps that says the most about them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Glad I got to see Harold Land play about 20 years ago at a workshop at Stanford. Billy Higgins was leading the group and made a point of touting Land during the introduction. Said something to the effect that "if you don't know him yet, he's one of the originals", called him a "map maker". High praise!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts