Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kid says her neck is starting to get sore from the tenor. I've only seen the "harness" type straps used for bari saxes.

Compatible for tenor use? Anyone use them? Recommend brand? She's using a Neotech regular strap now.

Thx

Craig

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
My kid says her neck is starting to get sore from the tenor. I've only seen the "harness" type straps used for bari saxes.

Compatible for tenor use? Anyone use them? Recommend brand? She's using a Neotech regular strap now.
No, harnesses are horrible unless you really need one, ie there is some medical reason. I used to use a Neotech, but now use a Cebulla which is solves all of the saxophone neck hurty issues.

See:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-straps.html

It's worth paying for.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
I use a simple harness for tenor. Started using it with baritone and I kept the strap when I sold the baritone. I never even think about my neck, back, shoulders, thumb, etc., that others complain about, even though I own and play the heaviest tenor ever made.

I think that the last BG harness that I bought was $18, but they are still around. The older style had a clip on each side and a metal hook. I'd still always go for the metal hook. There are some knock-off versions on Ebay, and I can't see why they wouldn't work just as well, but I know that BG works, so that's what I put in every horn case.

http://www.wwbw.com/BG-Saxophone-Harness-465115-i1416692.wwbw

Mark

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Vandoren universal harness is expensive, and kinda ugly, but if you can get past those issues, this harness is excellent.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/woodwinds/vandoren-saxophone-support-system-harness

I'd even say it's not quite a harness; most of the harnesses I've seen require arms through the straps---sort of a pain to sort out, and then the straps cross the sides of the ribs to constrict breathing. The Vandoren strap doesn't work like that. Nothing crosses your chest. The strap portion goes over the head, then you buckle the waist strap, and that's it. It's very, very easy to use.

My elementary school son stopped complaining about the weight of the horn once he put this on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,858 Posts
the Vandoren harness is very expensive (!) and extremely unpractical especially for a child.

If the kid can get used to the saxholder, I have great experience with it

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
The Vandoren universal harness is expensive, and kinda ugly, but if you can get past those issues, this harness is excellent.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/woodwinds/vandoren-saxophone-support-system-harness

I'd even say it's not quite a harness; most of the harnesses I've seen require arms through the straps---sort of a pain to sort out, and then the straps cross the sides of the ribs to constrict breathing. The Vandoren strap doesn't work like that. Nothing crosses your chest. The strap portion goes over the head, then you buckle the waist strap, and that's it. It's very, very easy to use.

My elementary school son stopped complaining about the weight of the horn once he put this on.
Because of an operation on my neck spinal bones, I can't use a conventional neck strap anymore and went to the Vandoren. I agree with gmiller's assessment. At first, it was a PITA but now that I've got it adjusted, it works fine. I still don't love it, but it's a great alternative to any straps which put weight on the back of the neck.

Ref the Cebulla, I've had one of those and for me wasn't any better than other conventional straps.
Ref milandro's comment that the Vandoren is " extremely unpractical especially for a child", I can't address that but do notice that gmiller's elementary aged son uses one. My biggest complaint is that raising and lowering the strap is a total pain and it gets stuck in the process.

·
38,858 Posts
I can’t imagine a child voluntarily wearing one of these, let alone being able to put one on and take it off in a orderly fashion himself.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
I have used a Pro-tec comfort strap, a Pro-tec harness, a Rico padded strap and a Just Joe's get strap. The Pro-tec became uncomfortable over time so I got their harness to coddle my back, shoulders and neck. But harnesses are too restrictive and make playing sitting down difficult because you can't get the tenor in a comfortable position or move it freely. Also, I doubt that there is one that will fit a child correctly anyway. Anyway, I got the Rico strap to replace it, mainly because I Saw Jerry Bergonzi wearing one and I had a discount coupon for Rico products. But those were bad reasons because I just don't like it at all: the design is bad, it sits high on your neck because the pads are thick and with no sax on it it slides around in a flash and the neck part is then hanging down on your chest.

So I got a Just Joe's strap and it is great. The gel pads are not only comfortable but are placed on either side of the spinal column so they take the pressure off of it. You don't get all sweaty like with the Pro-tec, which soaks it up and stays wet for hours, and it stays put on your neck unlike the Rico. It also is the easiest to adjust and stays adjusted so you don't have to keep yanking up on the slider every 5 minutes, like with the Rico.

On the other hand many people speak highly of the Sax Holder, but you have to see if that will fit her correctly, and that the pad that presses against the abdomen won't create pain of another type for someone of the body size and strength that a young girl has.

Just my take on it from my experience and from logical projection about the saxholder which is the only one I haven't used.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Thx

Craig
Vandoren Universal...best of the bunch...also most expensive

·
27,650 Posts
I can’t imagine a child voluntarily wearing one of these, let alone being able to put one on and take it off in a orderly fashion himself.
. . . and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that. It's a bit of a PITA for me.

However, you gotta go with what works the best, overall, and also ggmiller mentioned that his kid uses it. Also, kids are resilient and can surprise one with how they can deal with "adversity", unless of course their parents are overly indulgent.

But back to your comment in general, I'd rather use a conventional strap, and other harnesses are also messy. I'm not in love with my Vandoren but it works best for me.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Most of the tenor players I play with in the 4 big bands I play with have switched to the JazzLab Saxholder. I personally think they're too restrictive on tenor, but I use it with a bari instead of a harness.

It's far less restrictive and much easier to take on and off than a harness. Worlds better!

They are even marketing it towards kids just like yours.

http://www.jazzlab.com/en/saxholder/saxholder-gallery/

Here's Pete Thomas' review of same:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?166166-A-true-innovation-the-Saxholder-(plus-review)

You can buy it off Amazon. About $45.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ield-keywords=saxholder&sprefix=saxho,aps,173

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
it's honestly easier for me to put on the Vando harness than it is to put on a turtle neck sweater.

·
38,858 Posts
well, let’s see for ourselves how easy is to put it on

·
27,650 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts