Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've read most of the posts regarding the harness and sling discussion. My problem is that all these products are made for men, or flat-chested women, and I'm not either of those. I've been using the Neotech soft harness for years now with the only problem being a little TOO much lifting and separating, but now it hurts my neck as well as the girls in front. I'm considering a sling, but they look like they'll cut in all the wrong places as well. I'm wondering if any of you either ARE chicks or know chicks who have solved this particular problem?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Check out Freeneck. I've seen girl using it w/o problem.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Wish I had a suggestion, but I'm [reluctantly] using the Neotech harness myself. I've tried others, but nothing has worked as well so far. And for the record, I just HATE the way those things look on stage.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I don't know how good this product is, but goodspeed has a harness that is apparently designed for female use. I use their standard harness, it works quite well and wasn't all that expensive.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
Chuckbari said:
Hi guys,

I've read most of the posts regarding the harness and sling discussion. My problem is that all these products are made for men, or flat-chested women, and I'm not either of those. I've been using the Neotech soft harness for years now with the only problem being a little TOO much lifting and separating, but now it hurts my neck as well as the girls in front. I'm considering a sling, but they look like they'll cut in all the wrong places as well. I'm wondering if any of you either ARE chicks or know chicks who have solved this particular problem?
The harnesses don't look so great on big fellows, either. I always feel like I'm wearing a B&D fetish device. (yes, even the neotech).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
I was trying out a Freeneck recently (although not a woman myself) this should work really well. I only play tenor and it seem excessive - if I played bari it would definitely be a strong consideration.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
hakukani said:
The harnesses don't look so great on big fellows, either. I always feel like I'm wearing a B&D fetish device. (yes, even the neotech).

LOL you crack me up man. Don't believe me? ask me again tomorrow.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
playitfunky said:
LOL you crack me up man. Don't believe me? ask me again tomorrow.
I only wear my neotech harness in the privacy of my own home, and only when practicing bari sax.;)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
hakukani said:
I only wear my neotech harness in the privacy of my own home, and only when practicing bari sax.;)
LOL at you in nothing but a leather mask and a sax harness playing jazz.

Bondage jazz takes off and you become an instant hit with alternative lifestyle people. Next thing you know your booked on a bondage cruise playing 4 nights a week on the Lido Deck wearing nothing but your mask and sax harness.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
playitfunky said:
Bondage jazz takes off and you become an instant hit with alternative lifestyle people. Next thing you know your booked on a bondage cruise playing 4 nights a week on the Lido Deck wearing nothing but your mask and sax harness.
That's a mental image I could have lived without. :disgust:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome to SOTW this a friendly place. I'm glad you started this thread. I've been thinking about this for the last couple of weeks.

I just added a tenor, and the weight is a big difference from my alto. A couple of weeks ago I was much too enthusiastic and stood with the tenor practicing and jamming with my husband. Normally I sit in a chair and do boring things like scales. We played for 3 -4 hours. Next day my back and my neck were not happy at all. I have been using the Neotech Neck Strap with the alto, but it won't work with the tenor. Right now I can't even imagine a bari!

Cheryl

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
bari_sax_diva said:
That's a mental image I could have lived without. :disgust:
me too.

I definitely don't want to be known as a reliable hiccup cure.:shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,202 Posts
hakukani said:
me too.

I definitely don't want to be known as a reliable hiccup cure.:shock:
Never a cure for hiccups Mr. Hak. But maybe a good diuretic.
I giggled hard enough to make me need to tinkle. :D

On topic though,

My oldest played bari in HS and used the Neotech harness. She's small busted and found it to be uncomfortable and unattractive. But it was the best she could do. The sax was almost as big as she was.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
i use the neotech harness for bari but wear it under a button shirt where just the hook protudes. i usually wear in this order: t-shirt, harness, button shirt, then my tenor/alto neckstrap on the outside of all of it. with a dark, loose fitting shirt you can barely tell i'm wearing the harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you!

saxxsymbol said:
i use the neotech harness for bari but wear it under a button shirt where just the hook protudes. i usually wear in this order: t-shirt, harness, button shirt, then my tenor/alto neckstrap on the outside of all of it. with a dark, loose fitting shirt you can barely tell i'm wearing the harness.
First off, thank you to everyone who has replied so far! I can't believe it's taken me this long to find this site. I'm a bari player first and foremost, and can't find too many other people who know what it's like to play that thing full-time.

In response to saxxsymbol and diva, I do find the Neotech is aesthetically OK with the right undergarments and a black shirt. But I did look at that Smartstrap, and it seems to be the same basic idea as the Neotech, but the bottom strap is much further down. They could be on to something there. If I get it I'll certainly let everyone know how it works, though I'm worried about getting the horn to the right height.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
Wait a minute??!
Chuckbari is a Woman?
Your name fooled me.

I make neck straps out of old seatbelts in wrecked cars.
They are great......for me.(A guy)
I don't know how you women would like them though......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Old King Log
801 Posts
The diagonal baritone strap that I have been using for about the last twenty years might work. It crosses my chest at about a 60° angle, and as such would only catch the top edge of the right breast and pass below the left one completely (or, as neat as I can tell by throwing it over my wife's neck and shoulder without a horn on it).

This strap does not "evenly distribute the load over both shoulders and the back". Instead, it loads your right shoulder and neck, using the weight of your body to balance the horn's weight. It has a metal safety latch that attaches to the ring on the rear of the horn.

I have purchased them from The Saxophone Shop in Evanston IL. About twenty five dollars, the last time that I've checked. My last purchase was in 2003, so they should still be carrying them.

There's another alternative, albeit an expensive one. Both the newer Yamaha YBS 52s and one or two other brands have a "peg" on the bottom of the back tube to bell U-tube. From the looks of them in the illustrations, it appears that the majority of the weight of the horn is taken on the peg, and that a neckstrap is worn for stability (as is done by some bass clarinet players).

Mind you, I've never laid an hand on one of these myself. I have seen them in catalog illustrations, and I bought a YBS 52 case (without the horn) off of eBay, and there was a cut out in the foam cushion to accommodate the attachment point.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts