Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
4,996 Posts
I'm a tenor player first and bari player second. I find overtones really easy on bari. What's harder for me it altissimo -- not to produce it (which is again pretty easy) but to control it. I tend to play one overtone series above what I intend to do, and getting the altissimo notes to come down where I want them takes some doing for me. This, I'm sure, is because I don't do a lot. Since I am a tenor player, I hear the altissimo in a certain place and when I do it on bari, that's where it wants to appear; and also, for me, bari is really about the low notes (that's the jones it give me over the tenor: getting way down low).

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
4,996 Posts
Yep, same thing. I'm sure it's a doubler problem. The altissimo notes are readily there on my horn, I'm just projecting them wrong in my head: too hooked into the tenor. I'm sure if I spent a month practicing just bari, I'd nail it. Altissimo feels easier to me on the bari than on the tenor, a little, in terms of tone production: I just need to work on control.

For me, I don't think it's the mouthpiece. I have two main bari pieces -- a Berg HR (for jazz) and a Lawton (for loud) and they both work the same in this regard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.