Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I play tenor and bari mostly. Compared to the tenor, I find overtone exercises on the bari to be rather difficult to do.

Do you guys find harmonics more of a challenge on baritone than on the smaller saxes?

Thanks,

R

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
I'm a tenor player first and bari player second. I find overtones really easy on bari. What's harder for me it altissimo -- not to produce it (which is again pretty easy) but to control it. I tend to play one overtone series above what I intend to do, and getting the altissimo notes to come down where I want them takes some doing for me. This, I'm sure, is because I don't do a lot. Since I am a tenor player, I hear the altissimo in a certain place and when I do it on bari, that's where it wants to appear; and also, for me, bari is really about the low notes (that's the jones it give me over the tenor: getting way down low).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,260 Posts
I know I have trouble with overtones on my Yamaha 62 Bari. I have heard that the reason has to do with the low A extension and the additional octave key the 62 has. I do not know if this is true or if it is really just me. I know Yamaha did some re-designing when they started making the 62 Bari. The effect this had on the overtones and upper altissimo is really unknown to me. Anyone out there hear anything like this?

What kind of bari are you playing and what kind of mouthpiece are you using on it?

·
5,076 Posts
I can't say, but my bari is a low B-flat Martin, and overtones pop out with absolutely no problem.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
jmathesonjr said:
I know I have trouble with overtones on my Yamaha 62 Bari. I have heard that the reason has to do with the low A extension and the additional octave key the 62 has. I do not know if this is true or if it is really just me. I know Yamaha did some re-designing when they started making the 62 Bari. The effect this had on the overtones and upper altissimo is really unknown to me. Anyone out there hear anything like this?

What kind of bari are you playing and what kind of mouthpiece are you using on it?
No problem on mine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine's a Yani 991 with SR Tech Pro mpc, so probably quite similar to a YBS 62.

I wonder whether because I "hear" tenor overtones more clearly in my mind that I find them quite straightforward. I've been playing tenor for 25 years, and bari for 15 - maybe I'm only just beginning to come to terms with the bari!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the same problem as reedsplinter -- I'd be going for the first altissimo A and play the second (an octave higher). I think this comes from playing tenor and hearing what you expect from that horn, instead of the bari. Or breath control (which is geared towards the tenor). I'm playing an open, high baffle, mouthpiece so that I can be heard. The overtones and altissimo are easy to produce but hard to control (it's a 70's Bundy bari, by the way (no low A)). I keep working on it. Working on the bari altissimo/overtones is helping with the same on the tenor, but it doesn't seem to work the other way around (not yet, anyway).

·
5,076 Posts
Yep, same thing. I'm sure it's a doubler problem. The altissimo notes are readily there on my horn, I'm just projecting them wrong in my head: too hooked into the tenor. I'm sure if I spent a month practicing just bari, I'd nail it. Altissimo feels easier to me on the bari than on the tenor, a little, in terms of tone production: I just need to work on control.

For me, I don't think it's the mouthpiece. I have two main bari pieces -- a Berg HR (for jazz) and a Lawton (for loud) and they both work the same in this regard.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I´m also mainly a tenor player but enjoying lots of bari playing. Altissimo is no problem here with all the mpcs I have but I have to play half step above the intended one above B.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts