Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i've recently had many arguements with my friends on which sax is harder to do altissimo and to double tongue on. I play bari and i can climb up to Altissimo Double F. I can also double tongue at 180. My friends said both these techniques are easier on Bari and i Said that Altissimo may be a bit easier, but Double tongueing is WAY more difficult due to the air support that is needed to sustain the Ka sound. But they think bari is overall the easiest sax to play and every technique is easier on it. Anyone have any verbal ammo for me to fight back with?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
That would be my take too, and I actually like them. :)

For me, alto is the easiest to do either of those on, but you'll find that everyone has a different experience regarding that. The hardest for me with altissimo is soprano or higher. The hardest for double (or triple) tonguing is bari or lower (lots of reed surface and serious air support is required).

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Seems like an odd thing to have an argument about, since each player will have different aptitudes and experiences. For me altissimo is easiest on alto and bari, articulation (of any sort) is easiest on soprano and alto, multiphonics most readily accessible on alto and tenor.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
While I still find some altissimo notes on my sop challenging as that is what I play all the time I can kinda sound OK on alto but tenor well it's kinda like my golf game. I don't think I could even hold a bari or bass let alone play one. LOL

I guess it's a lot to do with what and how one plays.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts