Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a number of Hard Rubber mouthpieces and typically with age they are discolouring where exposed to sunlight.
I don't mind this too much and I understand that the process can be kept to a slow pace by keeping them clean and out of sunlight and certainly away from hot water.
I also believe that once heated the faint 'nice' smell of hard rubber becomes an overwhelmingly strong stink of the sulphur content.

Many mouthpieces come up for sale that have been treated 'back to black'
I have heard of a few methods/products being used to restore the colour.
What do you use / what wouldn't you use that you know has been?
And do you do this to your own pieces regularly or just before a sale?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,819 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Milandro,
Thanks for that....
I do search Honestly I do, it seems perhaps I don't try hard enough or they are too far down the list. The search for me separates the words I type and gives me too many unrelated choices so I lose patience.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
Clean/wash the mouthpiece with an emulsion of water and Ballistol, which will soften any lime build-up as well as return the black appearance. You can also use any kind of cooking oil to return the black appearance. The brown will always be visible under a strong light but this provides a beautiful patina so you shouldn't try for a 'new' appearance. Just casually looking, the mouthpiece will look new.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,903 Posts
I have a number of Hard Rubber mouthpieces and typically with age they are discolouring where exposed to sunlight.
I don't mind this too much and I understand that the process can be kept to a slow pace by keeping them clean and out of sunlight and certainly away from hot water.
I also believe that once heated the faint 'nice' smell of hard rubber becomes an overwhelmingly strong stink of the sulphur content.

Many mouthpieces come up for sale that have been treated 'back to black'
I have heard of a few methods/products being used to restore the colour.
What do you use / what wouldn't you use that you know has been?
And do you do this to your own pieces regularly or just before a sale?
Have you seen this:

How to clean mouthpieces

Before:

After:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts