Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing on a JJDV 10 with Vandoren V16 3's for about two years now. I've enjoyed playing it but it can get a little too bright at times. Several months ago, I picked up a Tenney Jazzmaster that I really like as well, it's a 7* though, and it's just too small for me.

Are there any hard rubber pieces that I could get to replace the JJDV? I'm looking for something not quite as bright as the DV, but that I can still use on funk, r&b, blues gigs. I like the larger feel in my mouth of the HR pieces.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, this is on my Tenor

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,712 Posts
There is nothing to say a HR piece cant have the edge of a metal one. Its in the design rather than the material. I can make HR pieces that will peel paint (though I dont like that) if asked. HR pieces can be less expensive since they start off cheaper than metal blanks and the material is easier and quicker to to work with. I personally like the feel of them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
You have lots of choices actually. Phil-Tone of course, some of the Saxscape pieces, the new EB Link that Tenor Madness sells too may work.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Can't say much about the Phil-tone because I haven't tried one (although I would like to someday because I hear nothing but good things).

I really like Saxscape pieces. You could get something like a Downtown model and it should suit you great.

I am sure you could even call the guys at Phil-tone and Ken at Saxscape and they could probably make something special to suit your needs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Firm believer in Phil E's mpc. The one I have is a Link hr that he opened from 8* to 9 (.120). I use it for all my gigs now. Subtone to raunchy scream, it can do it all. Highly recommend you talk w him about what you want. Very reed friendly too.

K

44 yrs of happy sax.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
I'm looking for something not quite as bright as the DV, but that I can still use on funk, r&b, blues gigs. I like the larger feel in my mouth of the HR pieces.
Try a Mouthpiece Cafe House Blend. It's an easy-to-play/fun-to-play mouthpiece. It's brighter than a typical Link, but not as bright as a JJDV. It projects well, and it's actually quite versatile. If you search for "Mouthpiece Cafe House Blend" on YouTube, you can see how bright Tommy Alvarado gets his going (it starts at about 2:15). I would link it here for you, but I'm on my iPhone. My HB doesn't seem to play as brightly as Tommy's, but it's plenty bright (and loud) for R&B, which is what I use it for.

Edit: Okay, I'm back at a desktop computer, so here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwFjmxmdGoY

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,526 Posts
I have been trying out a Vandoren Jumbo Java T95 on my Tenor and it plays with alot of edge and volume. However I am just the opposite of you I like slimmer pieces and recently replaced it with an vintage Guardala "Studio". That said if you are interested in trying this Vandoren let me know and I can make you a nice deal. B

·
Registered
836 Posts
I also like the Jumbo Javas. I play a T97. Very flexible piece, though they're known for being all edge. They don't make the 97's anymore, but the 95's are excellent also.
I also use a Springer Rollover piece for teaching and more subdued jazz playing, but the JJ is the "work horse".

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
Are there any hard rubber pieces that I could get to replace the JJDV? I'm looking for something not quite as bright as the DV, but that I can still use on funk, r&b, blues gigs. I like the larger feel in my mouth of the HR pieces.
Ok, I'll be the first to say it:

RPC

Call Ron, tell him what you're looking for and your search will be over. However, the RPC is not as high profile as your Tenney, since it has a lower-profile beak. But it will do the job you describe.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
+1
There is nothing to say a HR piece cant have the edge of a metal one. Its in the design rather than the material.
Couldn't agree more... a good rubber berg can get a pretty edgy sound, and there's plenty guys who get huge fat sounds on non-metal mouthpieces... all I'm saying is material is secondary to feel, profile, design, etc.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Phil Tone HR.
Phil made one for me. This piece is rich sounding, has one of the easiest altissimo, has the "kick" you need for funk and projects as well as my Guardala studio. What else .... ?

·
Banned
864 Posts
Refaced HR Berg or Morgan Jazz or Excalibur.
An Otto Link Hard Rubber (or a refaced "Phil-Tone" one) will not come as close to the power and edge that you are used to with your DV. For that you should go with an RPC with baffle, a Vando Jumbo Java or even a V16.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
An Otto Link Hard Rubber (or a refaced "Phil-Tone" one) will not come as close to the power and edge that you are used to with your DV. For that you should go with an RPC with baffle, a Vando Jumbo Java or even a V16.
I agree with that. One thing I keyed in on though is this from the OP:

"I'm looking for something not quite as bright as the DV, but that I can still use on funk, r&b, blues gigs."

That might eliminate some of the brighter HR high baffle mpcs. An RPC (or Berg) with the right combination of baffle & tip size can help you get a powerful sound with edge, but not overly bright or shrill.

I think the Pete Thomas PPT might fall in this category also, but I haven't tried one and I guess it's not strictly a HR mpc since it's made out of some other material. But it's not metal either.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have an offer to trade the Tenney Jazzmaster for a HR Berg Larsen 110/2. Has anyone played both of these pieces and can compare and contrast them?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts