·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I spend a lot of time with Walt's instructional video series--Jazz Conception Workshop, and Master Class Rhythm Changes, Scales and Arpeggios, and Blues--trying to model after his tone which is nearly perfectly what I'd like to sound like. These are great because the audio is high quality and he is playing scales or simple lines at an assessable tempo to hear nuances in tone.

He mentions his MP opening and reed strength in the Workshop video, but I didn't know what scale was used (changed in 70s? with Babbitt) nor the actual opening, thanks! I'd still like to know if the facing is today's medium curve or an alternate used back in the small-tip era. But seriously, how contrarian when so many Redman-or-younger are using 9* and even 10* with 4 reeds or stronger. Wonder what Walt plays with Steely Dan?

I alternate between Phil-tone metal Tribute 7* .105" and HR Sapphire 7 .100". Throwing a small tip size into the stew is confounding. I guess I need to go to a symposium where I can try some and see if they are at all something I can play. On alto I tried a few smaller Jody Jazz HR* pieces and I was just blowing them closed with the 2.75 reeds I was using.

Most of the time I'm at peace with the fantastic gear I already have and work hard to simply sound better on it, and I do make progress. But then in moments of distraction I wonder about the mouthpiece at the end of the rainbow...
Yeah I think its important to find something you are really comfortable with and you like tonally and stick with it

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
Walt told me he’s had that mouthpiece worked on a few times.
Mine plays better. It’s a stock Early Babbitt 6. Walt has a really good Mark VI tenor that was in great repair when I tried it.
Me and a drummer friend where joking about all the stuffy tenor sounds you hear now. Even he remarked about how much brighter my sound was on Walt’s tenor.
It’s all about concept with the equipment that helps you achieve it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,540 Posts
The Phil-Tone JZ piece can be customized to be very close to an STM. Its a budget piece due to less hand work...for a few dollars more the piece can be fashioned into something very close to an STM. Its slimline as well. Probably a tad wider but still has the feel of a metal link.

The window is also the same length and more importantly the floor height is not low. Its very close to a Florida height...just a touch higher which keeps the piece from being tubby and adds a nice focus.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Ive read that the blanks for the Florida Link and Wolfe Tayne's Guy Hawkins were the same. It makes sense in that they were both in S Florida at the time. I have a soprano which was given to me by Jaye Corre who did get it from Wolfie.
When they show up, they are not very expensive. I'd imagine that in the hands of Sigmund or others, it could be an affordable, custom option.

I can post some photos of the Guy if interested.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,193 Posts
Hi all! I am currently trying to find a new piece because the piece I am playing right now is just to dark for my taste now. I am a huge fan of Trane, Wayne shorter, Waltz Weiskopf and earlier Brecker (70s). I know all those guys used a Link STM and I really like that tone but all the vintage Links I have trialed or tested at the store just don't sit with me well because I am so accustomed to playing my rubber piece, My intonation is bad, I am squeaking, a lot and Its just not comfortable, I even had one of the pieces for almost three weeks! At this point I just want to practice more and be comfortable rather than trying to adjust or get discouraged with my playing due to new gear. But I really like the tone of A STM. I talked to my instructor and he agreed I should do that and even suggested I check out the Mouthpiece Cafe Slant Supreme (the one with Bergonzi on it) based on my influences. Do you think that is a good suggestion or do you have any others?? Thanks!!
I haven't tried it yet but how about the Drake Bergonzi Power Resonance mouthpiece. Sounds like it would be more along the lines of what you are looking for......?

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
I haven't tried it yet but how about the Drake Bergonzi Power Resonance mouthpiece. Sounds like it would be more along the lines of what you are looking for......?
Another thread had a guy posting a video of a Drake "Boney James" mouthpiece. I commented that Drake has so many models now you'd pretty much have to go to his shop to get any idea of what may work for you.
I'm afraid with with my preference for normal tips all I'd find is an 8 or above in anything he makes. It seems reasonable tips are special order instead of the way it should be.
The closest mouthpiece to an STM is an Early Babbitt Link with the smaller chamber. That's my opinion only because I have an STM and Tone Edge, both EB, both 6's. It's nice to be able to use the same reeds on both. They feel very similar in resistance

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but if you are looking for a non-metal version of a metal Super Tone Master Otto Link...

Just today, Peter Ponzol approved the prototype of a new mouthpiece that will go into production later this week and be on the market in 2-3 weeks. It is a Delrin version of his "Vintage" Model tenor. The Vintage Model is currently available in Stainless Steel and Aluminum. The Vintage Model is Peter's original design, but along the lines of a Super Tone Master. If you like STMs, then this piece is worth trying.

The prototype approved today is nearly identical to the metal Vintage Models, but made of Delrin. This piece has the same shape and size of the metal pieces, but it will have the feel and vibrational qualities of rubber. Essentially, it is a non-metal metal mouthpiece...if that makes any sense. I don't know of anything else on the market quite like it.

It will be hitting the market in a few weeks and will be available at www.ponzolmouthpieces.com.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts