Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to ask you the difference between these two kind of mpc. Do they really make diffeences in sound or projection? I have already tried both of them but I can't feel too much changes. Maybe I am not that professional enough to make it sing as it shoud.
p.s. the last metal mpc I tried is Jody ESP

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,026 Posts
midwind said:
I would like to ask you the difference between these two kind of mpc. Do they really make diffeences in sound or projection?
No, the materials have little to do with it.

midwind said:
I have already tried both of them but I can't feel too much changes. Maybe I am not that professional enough to make it sing as it should.
p.s. the last metal mpc I tried is Jody ESP
Being a pro has nothing to do with it. It is the design of the mouthpiece that makes the difference. Material is a cost/comfort thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
"I have already tried both of them but I can't feel too much changes."

Actually your statement reveals you are becoming professional!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Mostly it's a feel thing. A lot of us prefer the slimmer profile of metal on tenor as it seems to be a little less tiring on the embrochure.

Like most people on this forum I prefer hard rubber for alto, it seem to be about the right size for comfort. It's also the established norm for alto. Of course theres been some killer players that have used metal.

For soprano I prefer metal. I can't seem to find a hard rubber piece that I really like for soprano. Once again it can go either way with the soprano. Wayne Shorter and Steve Lacy played rubber, many others have used metal pieces like the Selmer Classic.

It all comes down to how well the mouthpiece is made. A hard rubber that has been well crafted will hold its own just fine. Some people like metal because it's also a little more durable than hard rubber.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,888 Posts
Go to Junkdude's site. I think he has an article by Ralph Morgan about this very subject.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts