Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back my old 1949 Big B form an extensive overhaul. It still looks cools as hell with a very unique kind of patina/tarnish/lacquer wear.

To go with that old school look I am considering hard rubber mouthpieces. I still need a focused, compact, but versatile sound. I do mostly play jazz though.

I have heard of high quality out of the box pieces like RPC, Vandoren, Saxscape, Lamberson, Morgan and would prefer something that I don't have to send to refacer.

Of these makers can you tell me which models you've had experience with? Also what are you perceptions?

·
Registered
976 Posts
My most compact, focused mpc is a EZ T8 with Alex. DC 3 reeds. It has a R&B burble to it. My other pieces are old & new blank Morgans, which all are a little louder. Compact & focused for the type of chamber, V16 T8, EZ.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
For a Crat--defintely an L. They get cranky when you don't use a large-chambered piece on them--the kind of mouthpiece they were designed to be played with....

A Morgan L would be a great piece for a Crat. BTW I may have one for sale if you're interested. It was made about 3 years ago, when Ralph was still personally supervising the hand finishing. Just PM me if you're interested....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,065 Posts
Second on the Morgan... I use an Excalibur medium chamber, though, an 8E, not a "jazz" model M or L.

I'm way into the Morgan and find it unbelievably versatile. I use it for straight-ahead, fusion, wedding gigs, everything. These mouthpieces were always meticulously hand-faced while Ralph was alive and I'm sure they're still great if Brian Powell's doing the finishing these days.

I'm using mine on a VI, though, not a Buescher. Still, any style of Morgan you get will be one of the best pieces that you CAN get in that style, regardless of which it is.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The best HR tenor pieces I tried are Saxscape uptown NF, Morgan EL and Berg Larsen Grained Ebonite (the one I am using now).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried the STM on the Big B last night and it seems to work better than the Lamberson X (high baffle, but lower than the DD), but my wife said it sounded like air was escaping somewhere and it sounded like I was working too hard -- her perception.

FWIW, I wasn't working any harder than normal. The sound on my (baffled) STM seemed more compact but still not as compact as I'd like it to be.

I am thinking a big old round chamber with a marginal rollover might be the way to go on this one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts