Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a new mouthpiece to replace the standard one that came with my Selmer Prelude Student Tenor. I have been playing for about a year and a half and will be entering the Jazz Band at my high school this coming school year. I feel this upgrade will help open up my tone, since the piece I am currently using seems "thin" in the upper register. I want a hard rubber mouthpiece since I feel that one would fit my playing style better than a metal mouthpiece, and would allow me to have a more "full-bodied" tone. Some pieces I have looked at so far have been the E. Rousseau JDX, Vandoren Jumbo Java, Bari Hard Rubber and the Jody Jazz Hard Rubber (which includes a ligature and cap). Also, I am looking for a tip opening on the piece of around a 7 or an 8 (.110 - .120), and I currently use Vandoren V16 Reeds, Strength 3.

As far as ligatures and caps go, I have been looking at the Rovner Mark III Ligature and Cap, which is what I would need if I decide to purchase any of the mouthpieces I listed other than the Jody Jazz.

My question for you all is, what would be the best combination of mouthpiece and ligature and cap for my situation for under $200? They do not need to be any of the pieces I have listed, as long as you feel the combination fits my circumstances and is NOT USED. Your input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Perhaps a Vandoren V16 HR - more of a full sound than a jumbo java. Though the T8 would be around .110, I think you'll find the T6 (.100) open enough, and you might be able to keep using #3 V16 reeds.
By the way, don't immediately rule out metal pieces - sound has a lot more to do with design than with material. Go for what feels more comfortable.

Ligature and cap? Only change if they aren't suited to your new mouthpiece, or if there's something wrong with the lig.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts