Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a Rovner Mark III ligature on a metal mouthpiece but the ligature is hard rubber, will it still work or should I get a metal ligature? Please help! Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
UH... I think you are a little confused.
Rovner ligatures are NOT made of hard rubber.
They will FIT hard rubber and metal mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
You can pretty much put it on any mouthpiece it will fit and tighten enough to hold the reed securely.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's simply about sizing. Rovners are made in various sizes for different dimensions of mouthpiece. And since metal mouthpieces are generally made with smaller external dimensions than hard rubber ones, "metal" and "hard rubber" – when used in the context of ligature sizes – simply refer to what size of mouthpiece they should fit best.

For instance: The Rovner I used on my HR Berg does not fit my metal Deep-V, as the hard rubber Berg is externally larger than the metal Deep-V. However, I'm sure that there are some metal mouthpieces out there that have large enough dimensions to warrant the use of a ligature that's "hard rubber-sized."

Try putting a reed and your lig on the metal mouthpiece, and tighten the lig like you would normally do. If it's loose – even if you tighten the lig all the way – then you need a smaller ligature. If it fits correctly, then you lucked out!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
You may need to use a lig for a smaller mouthpiece family; alto lig on metal tenor, clarinet lig on metal alto.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeah, I second Bruce Bailey's comment. I've heard of sax players successfully using soprano Rovners on metal alto mouthpieces, and alto Rovners on metal tenor mouthpieces. In fact, I am planning to use my soprano Rovner on the Beechler Bellite 7 alto mouthpiece I just ordered (when the dreadfully long 3 month back order wait period is over), as apparently this mouthpiece doesn't come with a ligature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts