Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
Joined
·
769 Posts
fusion1, I'm curious how long your Rousseau JDX5 was soaked in alcohol. What percentage isopropyl alcohol was the soaking solution?
It wasn't even soaked in alcohol. I rinsed the mp in luke warm water, then took the 70% rubbing alcohol and drizzled it over a toothbrush and then proceeded to scrub the mp thoroughly. Then finished up with rinsing it again under luke warm water. Once dried I was VERY upset that my brand new JDX5 looked like I had used sandpaper on it with the dull finish. I know the mp wasn't ruined sound-wise, but cosmetically it was. This whole procedure happened in less than 2 minutes.

What really ticked me off is I used alcohol specifically from reading people recommending it online (the forum from the now defunct site called Jazz Central Station (remember that?)) when my first instinct was hesitant to use any solvent on a HR mp for fear of drying it out or whatever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,466 Posts
It wasn't even soaked in alcohol. I ... drizzled it over a toothbrush and then proceeded to scrub the mp thoroughly. ... [It] looked like I had used sandpaper on it with the dull finish. ... This whole procedure happened in less than 2 minutes.
Interesting. I believe both alcohol and bleach can potentially damage a mouthpiece. Curiously, I haven't read any posts from people who have experienced damage from bleach, even though it's an oxidizing agent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
It may sound funny but i've had the best results cleaning my hard rubber mouthpieces by soaking them in flat Coke. I just let them sit in a glass of it for around 15 minutes, then rinse them off with cool water and dry them with paper towel. I've had pieces that were coated with calcium deposits and this process removed it all with no scrubbing. I've never had a piece turn green or experienced any other adverse affects from this treatment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,466 Posts
It may sound funny but i've had the best results cleaning my hard rubber mouthpieces by soaking them in flat Coke. I just let them sit in a glass of it for around 15 minutes, then rinse them off with cool water and dry them with paper towel. I've had pieces that were coated with calcium deposits and this process removed it all with no scrubbing. I've never had a piece turn green or experienced any other adverse affects from this treatment.
I've also heard of this treatment for removing deposits, but I'm more concerned about the advantages and disadvantages of alcohol and bleach for sterilizing mouthpieces. Both alcohol and bleach can be effective for this purpose, but several people have observed hard rubber damage due to alcohol. Bleach is an oxidizing agent, but I haven't read any reports of bleach damaging hard rubber mouthpieces. Because of its greater efficacy as a sterilizing agent and its lack of damage reports, I'm leaning toward bleach. If anyone has observed bleach damage a hard rubber mouthpiece, please share your experience.
 

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
Joined
·
17,204 Posts
.... Yes, but household bleach can kill bacteria and viruses with 99.9% efficacy in a matter of minutes. See this page.
Yes, sounds good.

....Sodium hypochlorite is an oxidizing agent, so I expect that an extended soak in bleach solution could potentially harm a mouthpiece, perhaps even accelerate the process that turns ebonite green. (Note, I have no doubt that Gordon has experienced the opposite effect as well -- i.e. using bleach to restore a green mouthpiece.)
Yes. I was under the incorrect impression that the bleach must be a reducing agent, seeing I thought the greening was from oxidation, and seeing that I have found that bleach sometimes reverse that greening action. Odd.

But I guess there is oxidation (adding oxygen to a molecule) and oxidation (loss of electrons, not necessarily involving oxygen)
 

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
Joined
·
30,104 Posts
I just used automotive rubbing compound on an old Selmer Soloist. Seemed to clean it up quite nicely. It's now soaking in some diet Pepsi per the advice in a different thread.
Rubbing compound ought to be OK but I'd keep it away from the facing curves.

I wouldn't soak in diet pepsi though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Agreed on where to use the compound. The Pepsi soak suggestion was on a different SOTW forum thread. The weak phosphoric acid in the cola is a pretty good cleaner. Anyway, after about 2 hrs in the Pepsi, I rinsed it off with cool water and dried it. Then (again per another thread) rubbed some EVOO on the body (but not the table, rails, or tip). The mpc now looks almost new.
 
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top